Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Mark Hulbert: Investing Guru Predicts 12% Rise In Stocks Over Six months

FYI: This aging bull market should be given the benefit of the doubt for at least another several months.

That cheery forecast comes from Sam Eisenstadt, who has more successfully called stocks’ direction in recent years than anyone I can think of. His latest forecast is that the S&P 500 SPX, +0.35% will rise to 2,310 over the next six months. If so, the market at the end of September will be 11.8% higher than where it stands today.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/enjoy-the-party-while-it-lasts-2015-04-03/print

Music To My Ears: Play It Again Sam;

Comments

• "Investing Guru" that "title" should set off Alarms in your investing mind, didn't this site have something to do with Alarms?
    "than anyone I can think of" really? how many Gurus can you think of? two?
  • Indeed, guru designation is often placed upon those who just happen to get it right more often than wrong. Guru's come and guru's go.

However if you had bothered to read the article you would have learned that Mr. Eisenstadt is the former research director at Value Line Inc. with 63 years at that firm. I'd say that he might have earned the street credit's to be listened to over Timmy boy who offers nothing other than he's a blog writer with no credentials he cares to mention.
  • Someone is going to have to do more than "Research Work" for 63 years to claim Guru Status with me, But everyone has the privilege to pick their "Gurus":

His previous six-month forecast, for example, was that the S&P 500 by the end of March (this past Tuesday) would be between 2,160 and 2,200 — representing an increase of at least 9.5% over where it stood at the end of last year’s third quarter. As fate would have it, the S&P 500 rose “only” 4.8% over that six-month period.

not my kinda of Guru....tb
  • edited April 2015
    Let's assume the byline and guru's prediction are correct - that stocks will rise 12% over the next 6 months.

Why does it matter?
  • You're correct hank, it doesn't. Truth be told, I care less than nothing what anyone says about the market. I only sail with Captain Price.
  • "Price" and Dividends are the Game.....Market increases and Decreases mean What?
    I predict the Market will go up and Down and I (we) will Make money in the future...
    See....Predictions are easy....and I'm correct....Eisenstedt is (probably) wrong after 63 years of Research......