Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

WealthTrack Preview

FYI: ( As soon as program becomes available for free, early tomorrow, I will Link it.)
Regards,
Ted

Dear WEALTHTRACK Subscriber,

It took more than 15 years, but it finally happened. The NASDAQ Composite Index closed above its previous peak reached on March 10th of 2000. The new high is 5056.06, a mere 7.44 points above the old close of 5048.62.

I don’t know anyone who is breaking out the champagne. According to The Wall Street Journal, in real, inflation adjusted terms the index is still lagging far behind: “It would have to top 6891.93 to surpass its March 2000 high, using January CPI data.”

This week, we are focusing on maximizing Medicare benefits for you and your loved ones. It is estimated that 90-95% of Americans pay too much for Medicare coverage. We want to make sure you are not one of them!

Our mission on WEALTHTRACK from the beginning has been to help you build financial security for a lifetime. The greatest unknown in planning for that goal is life expectancy. Today, men and women who retire at 65 can anticipate living another 25, 30 or even 40 years, all of those years receiving Medicare benefits and contributing to them.

According to a recent report in InvestmentNews, the life expectancy of a 65-year-old man increased two years between 2000 and 2014 alone, from 84.6 to 86.6. Longevity for a 65-year-old woman rose 2.4 years during the same period, from 86.4 to 88.8.

Needless to say, every individual is different. But one thing is certain, as we age, we use more healthcare services. We see more doctors and visit them more frequently. We take more medications. We undergo more procedures and we often need more help. Older Americans cite medical expenses as their largest expense outside of food and shelter, much higher than the general population.

This week’s guest, Katy Votava, estimates that Americans 65 and older spend an average of 13% of their after-tax income on out-of-pocket healthcare expenses.

Medicare is at the core of those expenditures, which is why understanding Medicare and maximizing its benefits is so important in the financial planning process, yet it is often taken for granted and overlooked.

No more! This week we are going to get some expert guidance from Katy Votava, Founder and President of Goodcare.com, a healthcare consulting firm for individuals, small businesses and financial planners. Votava is a registered nurse with a PhD in health economics and nursing. She is a regular columnist for InvestmentNews, a leading publication for financial planners and the author of a new ebook, Making the Most of Medicare: A Guide for Baby Boomers, which I highly recommend for anyone interested in navigating the Medicare system.

Especially for WEALTHTRACK viewers, Votava is offering a 25% discount on this valuable guide. You can click here to purchase it. Just be sure to enter the discount code WT25.

As usual, the show will air on Public Television this Friday and over the weekend. You can check your local listings here. If it’s easier for you to watch the show online, it’s available to our PREMIUM viewers right now. Otherwise, it will be available on our website over the weekend. In our EXTRA feature, you can also see our exclusive online segment with Votava about how she turned her career in health services into a thriving business.

Have a great weekend and make the week ahead a profitable and productive one.

Best Regards,

Consuelo

Comments

• Plugging another book.
  • "It is estimated that 90-95% of Americans pay too much for Medicare coverage. We want to make sure you are not one of them!"

How do you pay too much?, the Gov. told me how much to pay to get it and I did, is there another source? I know rebate programs ect., but pay less? Don't think so...