Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Morningstar Is Ready To Move Beyond The Style Box

FYI: If you have criticisms of the Morningstar style box, you're not alone.
Morningstar Inc. does, too.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.investmentnews.com/article/20150427/FREE/150429922?template=printart

Comments

• Oh goody. We've gone from the four food groups (a 1-dimensional representation) to a food pyramid (2-dimensional). In investing, from stocks/bonds/cash (1-dimensional) to style boxes (2-dimensional). Now let's go to 3D; can HD be far behind?

Seriously, what M* is talking about is nothing new. It looks like they're just seeing a market opportunity, since robo-advisors seem to have made paying for advice (good or bad) more fashionable.

Don't invest your 401(k) in company stock? Enron? WorldCom? Hello? On the other hand, there are tax benefits for doing so (net unrealized appreciation). How do you balance these factors?

Don't invest in your company industry (the example given was real estate for a realtor). Sure, and thousands of articles have been written on this. During the dot com bubble, I was in a tech company where the HR person told me that people were pouring money into American Century Ultra (TWCUX). That was the closest we had to a tech fund.

On the other hand, isn't the adage (attributed to Peter Lynch) "invest in what you know"? Again, a balancing act.

So M* may get into the financial planning business, piggybacking on a couple of trends - robo advisors and big data. Sounds hot, sounds now. (IMHO there really is potential here, but one has to be skeptical about the timing, for something that could have been done years ago, but less easily marketed.)
  • Never got the usefulness of Grids and Charts, since my Econ. 101 professor in 1966 use to Draw them for hours on his blackboards (remember them), I used to ask him to give us his point(s) in plain English...so much to his dis-may....He probably is still doing (drawing) them and I graduated to the "real world"....
  • "I used to ask him to give us his point(s) in plain English"

Hi TB,

I think that is called an oxymoron;-)

Best Regards,

Mona
  • old English?