Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Impressive start for JOHCM Emerging Markets Small Midcap Fund (JOMIX)

This is a new fund with tiny assets although it is managed by experienced emerging market managers Emery Brewer of Driehaus fame, Stephen Lew, and Dr. Ivo Kovachev.

The fund is up 21.57% YTD. It's on my watch list. Does anyone have any insight into Emery Brewer's tenure at Driehaus and his results?

http://www.morningstar.com/funds/XNAS/JOMIX/quote.html

Thanks,
Mike_E

Comments

• International small caps have done well as of late.
  • edited May 2015
    Mike, great find !

Mr. Brewer managed the fund from 12/31/1997-4/29/2008, and during this period, DREGX crushed the EM equity category, and outperformed the top funds in the space as shown HERE.

I just test traded JOMMX and JOMIX in my retirement accounts, and these classes are not available for my purchase at Fidelity, TDAmeritrade, Scottrade and Firstrade. And at Wellstrade, I get the all to familiar "The security entered cannot currently be traded online." Please let me know where you can buy these share classes.

Kevin
  • I believe JOMIX is available on Fidelity for a minimum of $500... Still a transaction fee, though.
  • This is the message I received with the test trade of JOMIX in my Fidelity retirement account:

"Error: (000967) The mutual fund you entered is not authorized to be traded in your state. Please review your order or call a Fidelity representative a 1-800-544-6666."

JOMMX is the target (prospectus net ER 1.54%) as it is slightly less expensive than JOMIX (net ER of 1.64%).

Kevin
  • i tried JOMIX at Fidelity and got told I needed a min of 25k to invest. at the moment, i only have 15k. if someone wants to lend me 10k, ha ha, i'll see if the order goes through, ha ha. i tried JOMMX and was told it wasn't available
  • Hi Kevin. I received the same message you did, "The mutual fund you entered is not authorized to be traded in your state." I might try contacting JOHCM and will get back to you.

Mike
  • I just spoke with a representative of JOHCM who mentioned that as of end of February, JOMIX was available in a limited number of states (CA, NY, FL, VA, TX, plus a few others). He said their goal is to make it available in all states. When? He didn't know but gave me a phone number to call at Northern Trust - 866-260-9549. My advice is to continue watching until it becomes available.
  • Thanks Mike for calling. I'll definitely place this fund on my watch list.

Kevin
  • Why did Brewer and another manager of this new fund take "sabbaticals" from around 2008-2010? It sure would be nice to have their performance figures from that period when high-flyers mostly crash landed.