Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Who Wins ‘Passive vs. Active’ Institutional Debate? : U.S. Large Cap Growth: Part 2.

FYI: I hope everyone enjoyed my first article in the series—Who Wins ‘Passive vs. Active’ Institutional Debate? Pt. 1: U.S. Large Cap Blend—on this highly debated subject matter. However, before we dive into the Large Cap Growth space analysis, let me respond to a few comments relative to my first article.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.thinkadvisor.com/2015/05/29/who-wins-passive-vs-active-institutional-debate-pt?t=mutual-funds&page_all=1

Comments

• While I like to use to active funds vs. index funds in general, I am not sure if the author is correctly analyzing data. He is just looking at the top 10 or top 20 funds. He needs to look in the aggregate. For example, what about the bottom 10 or bottom 20 funds?
  • MJG
    edited June 2015
    Hi Kaspa,

I completely agree with your comments.

The reported study is flawed by design and is flawed by the reporting of its findings.

By not considering fund survivorship bias and by only including lower cost institutional shares, the study is tilting the odds towards actively managed products. By only reporting top performers, it ignores the asymmetric distribution of all active funds, especially the lower ranked losers.

An investor would expect Index funds to be near the middle of any ranking, surely not at the top performing positions. The construction of the study screening criteria reach a ridiculous extreme in the Large Cap Growth category when only a single Index fund satisfies the screening criteria.

The referenced studies have little value for MFOers. Vanguard has recently done much more comprehensive and honest research in this arena.

Best Wishes.

Edit: I have referenced the Vanguard 2014 study on earlier posts. For completeness, here it is once again:

https://pressroom.vanguard.com/content/nonindexed/Updated_The_Case_for_Index_Fund_Investing_4.9.2014.pdf