Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Clipping/Wrapping on iPad

When I view the site on my iPad Mini, many pages have rendering issues. On Miraculous Multisearch results page and the Great Owl tables, the tables are clipped on the right with no way to scroll horizontally or properly size the page to display all the content.. Also, menu bar items wrap to a second line with the last two or three items wrapping.

Comments

• Thanks for your post.

The menu bar items are designed to wrap to a second line on the smaller screen of an iPad mini. It's part of what web developers call responsive design, and allows developers to more easily create a site that can be viewed on almost any size screen.

I was not aware of the clipping of the tables on the Great Owls and Miraculous Multisearch. Ideally, there would be horizontal and vertical scroll bars when the screen is too small to display the entire table. I'll borrow an iPad mini next week, and see if I can make some adjustments to those pages to get them to display better for you.
  • @chip Thanks for the clarification. I looked more carefully today and found that I can drag the Great Owl tables to scroll through them. However, there's no way to scroll through the MM tables - even when I switch to landscape, the table gets cut off at the start of the 20 year return column.
  • @MrRuffles: Please translate your comments with Chip into English, some of use still use a soup can and string as an IPhone &IPad
    Regards,
    Ted
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Maurice: Its a tough job, but somebody has to do it !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @Ted I'm surprised you've upgraded from a stone tablet and chisel.
  • edited June 2015
    @chip

in the multi-search.
    wrap the table in a div with a class and add some css. probably will work adding a scrollbar directly under table if needed. Seemed to work with web-developer tools.

e.g.
    <div class="addscroll">
    <table id="owltable" class="sortable">
    </table>
    </div>

---

css
    .addscroll {
    overflow-x: auto;
    }
  • @Accipiter

Thank you!

I just made that change. It seems to work when I simulate a smaller screen.

@MrRuffles - Please let me know if it works correctly on your iPad.
  • @chip That did the trick - it scrolls beautifully now. Thanks to you and @Accipiter for figuring this out so quickly.
  • Accipiter is kind of amazing that way. I just mostly do what he says.

Glad we could help.