Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Is RSAFX turning out to be a good bet?

Checking the chart since inception ~2 years ago - it survived two dips much better than the S&P, one dip was almost (but not quite) as bad, yet overall returns over the past two years are 1% vs 20% for the S&P. That's a bit lousy, hedge fund or no, especially considering the ER.

So for those of you who hold it - or have held it - are you happy with your investment?

Comments

• Hi, Whak!

In fairness, it's a market neutral fund so you should expect market-like returns, up or down. In general it captures 40% of the upside and 20% of the downside. Since the strategy launched, it's captured 80-some percent of the S&P. Since the mutual fund launched in July 2013, it's captured about 25% of the returns but hasn't had a lot of volatility to work with.

I did ask Morty a similar question last week, about the fund in the recent choppiness. His answer was that it's working about as planned. It can capture as much as 50% of a sudden downdraft but the volatility-driven options should allow a fairly quick recovery. He's asked if I'd like to speak with the managers later this week, but I'm only the road and a bit unsure of my schedule.

More soon.

David
  • Thanks, David. I'm fine with it capturing some of the downdraft, I just wish it caught more of the updraft too! Hopefully the current volatility will let the fund shine a bit.

Mostly trying to decide whether I should put in more cash or liquidate. It's an interesting idea for a fund.
  • I own this fund. It if continues to perform like it has I expect to hold it. What we need right now is for some more assets in the fund. I fear the fund will shut, because fund companies will only keep a fund running so long unless assets rise to a level the fund at least pays for itself. Look what happened recently to RNBWX.