Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M*: 6 Active Mid-Cap Funds To Buy (Or Keep)

FYI: These Morningstar Medalists are among our favorites.
Regards,
Ted
http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=714064

Comments

• beebee
    edited September 2015
    I'll continue to "buy and hold" POAGX. What would be your "yang" to any of these choices since there is considerable volatility?

10 Year comparison of POAGX to these choices:

• Hi @bee, with the kind of performance POAGX (which I've owned as well for quite a few years) has put up, who needs a "yang". I have grown to view the volatility as nice opportunities to add to my investment. To be fair, I've also rebalanced along the way so most of the time my overall investment isn't growing as quickly as it would have if I didn't do that. It's a gold fund for M* and as usual I find it utterly confusing that they can talk about their favorite active mid-cap funds without talking about POAGX, especially when they include a handful of closed funds.
  • POAGX is my go-to fund choice as well.
  • Hi bee,
    you will notice below that ETGLX has a somewhat greater return than POAGX
    but for taxable accounts it is more tax efficient.
    prinx

Tax Analysis
    1-Mo 3-Mo 6-Mo YTD 1-Yr 3-Yr 5-Yr 10-Yr 15-Yr Since Inception
    (08/31/2015)
    Pretax Return
    POAGX -5.70 -5.43 -4.78 0.97 4.16 22.83 22.41 13.08 — 13.17
    ETGLX -8.43 -10.43 -4.13 1.17 8.11 24.61 22.79 — — —
    Tax-adjusted Return *
    POAGX -5.70 -5.43 -4.78 0.97 2.81 22.10 21.72 12.70 — 12.82
    ETGLX -8.43 -10.43 -4.13 1.17 8.08 24.52 22.19 — — —
    % Rank in Category 23 32 49 34 20 1 1 1 —
    Tax Cost Ratio
    POAGX — — — — 1.30 0.59 0.56 0.34 — —
    ETGLX — — — — 0.03 0.07 0.49 — — —
    Potential Cap Gains Exposure
    POAGX 32.94
    ETGLX 11.25
  • beebee
    edited September 2015
    @prinx,

Thanks for the fund suggestion. I will check it out. Do you own their healthcare fund ETNHX?

Looks like both POAGX (33%) and ETGLX (22%) significantly overweight healthcare compared to the MG category (13%).

ETGLX (1.5% ER) has a bit of headwind compared to POAGX (.62% ER).

Both were recently created in 2010.
  • Great. 3 of the 6 already mentioned in previous "best 3 mid cap funds". Looks like M* internally has quota of articles to fill for its employees.
  • edited September 2015
    Since POAGX (MG) is closed and healthcare heavy, I compared with my holding VHCOX (LG)with lower ER ( also closed)from the same management and they match. unable to attach comparison graph.
  • POAGX. Midcap Growth. Hmmmm.

Mkt capitalization of holdings, as % of portfolio (6/30/2015):
    Giant 9.40
    Large 21.13
    Small 27.44
    Micro 15.73
    ///TOTAL NON-MC: 73.7% of POAGX portfolio///
  • heezsafe said:

POAGX. Midcap Growth. Hmmmm.

While screening for MC funds yesterday, two Vanguard MC funds surfaced, VMVIX (MC Value) and VIMSX (MC Blend).

I have to agree with @heezsafe, POAGX seems more of an 'Multicap Growth" fund.

• edited September 2015
    Several of my favorite funds are mentioned on this thread, VHCOX which I've owned since 2001, and POAGX, since 2007. As you can imagine, they've both had some style drift as their assets have expanded...not that I'm going to complain too loudly though. Much less SC than before.

Bee...One of the funds I've recently purchased for my rollover IRA which I believe will be a nice complement to these 2, would be SCMFX. It is a small/mid blend, and if you do a performance comparison between that and POAGX, you will see a fairly even performance match until the biotechs powered the Primecap fund ahead over the last 2 years. SCMFX has been profiled on MFO, and it held up fairly well over the recent turmoil perhaps due to the additional value component.

Per your comment as well, I was also intrigued by the Eventide family, and have a starting position in ETNHX. More spice than my VGHCX holding, but I am thinking this is a lower risk way to get exposure to the biotechs than an individual holding, and I wanted to stay away from the ETFs.

press
  • edited September 2015
    Interesting no one mentions NICSX, which outperforms SCMFX and the Vanguards, and/or FLPSX, which does the same over the longer periods.
  • @heezsafe: OMG, I thought you averaged the giant, large, mid, small, and micro to come up with Mid-Cap!
  • edited September 2015
    @BenWP LOL, that happened to me at the pharmacy Monday. One tiny change in the Rx label format and.... well, you know, it only takes one slight bend in the card stack to get a "fatal error message."
    @bee yup, ya won't be scrunching POAGX into any stinkin' style box. Multicap Growth suits it, to which I'd add "Aggressive". Of course, it is improper to conceptualize it so, because M* does not have such a category, and therefore it cannot exist.:) As for the "yang," .......ummmm, perhaps TWHIX?
  • POAGX - it doesn't matter what they call it, it just delivers so far.