Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Tech Mutual Funds Get Spark; T. Rowe Price Global Tech

"Tech funds are showing some spunk this year, as tech stocks have sunk less and rallied more since June."

PRGTX, USSCX, PRMTX, and FSCSX come up on my radar.

Article:
top-performing-tech-mutual-funds

Comments

• I purchased PRMTX back in the heyday when prices were low and started with PRGTX much in the same way. DCA into both funds and have used the profits to build new funds.
  • jafink63 said:

I purchased PRMTX back in the heyday when prices were low and started with PRGTX much in the same way. DCA into both funds and have used the profits to build new funds.

How do these funds differ and are they different enough? Both have been successful. I own PRMTX, but hesitate adding something too similar with PRGTX.

I assume you have diversified your profits to other TRP funds. If so, what funds have you diversified into? Thanks.
  • Both of these funds trade in pretty much the same arena. I started PRGTX with profits of PRMTX, moved some in PRWCX for preservation and built Global Allocation RPGAX and Global Market Secton Bond PRSNX with PRMTX profits. I also initially started Africa and Middle East TRAMX with a transfer as this is one of the last frontiers to develop.

Global Technology
    Media 34.50%
    Semiconductors 18.00%
    Software 16.50%
    Information Services 7.10%
    Technology 5.50%
    Miscellaneous 5.50%
    IT Services 3.20%
    Telecom Services 3.10%
    Telecom Equipment 2.40%
    Health Care 2.20%
    Hardware 1.70%

Media and Communication
    Media 57.70%
    Telecom Services 26.20%
    Software 5.00%
    Technology 2.90%
    Information Services 1.90%
    Telecom Equipment 1.10%
    IT Services 1.00%
    Health Care 0.50%
    Hardware 0.30%

• Thanks @jafink63...I like the fund diversification you have "spun off".
  • Another interesting Tech heavy fund is FOCPX.

M* profile:
    Portfolio manager Gavin Baker runs Fidelity OTC Portfolio with an unusual mandate: By prospectus, at least 80% of the fund must be invested in stocks listed on the Nasdaq exchange...

3 yr chart of FOCPX (w/ PRGTX, PRMTX, and USNQX):
  • Thanks @bee...Where or how do I get the chart like the one you posted above.
  • jafink63 said:

Thanks @bee...Where or how do I get the chart like the one you posted above.

I use M*

morningstar.com/funds.html

-Enter your ticker symbol into the "quote" search box
    -Select the charts tab
    -Enter camparison funds in the compare box
    -Change time frames
    -Add more funds using the compare box (usually up to 8 funds)
    -Remove particular funds by hovering over to the right off the fund ticker (above the chart) and click the "X".

• Thanks bee for all your help.