Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Fooly Owly Signal 11/12/2015

edited November 2015 in Off-Topic
SELL SELL SELL !!!

Comments

• So, did you sell anything or are you just kidding?
    If the S&P dips next week, my WAG is that it will find some support
    around 2031 area.
  • edited November 2015
    AKAFlack said:

So, did you sell anything or are you just kidding?
    If the S&P dips next week, my WAG is that it will find some support
    around 2031 area.

If you look at my other postings, you can already tell I have my own technical models through which I allocate my funds in retirement accounts and they are obviously a lot in cash.

More to the point, you cannot hold me to a higher standard than ANY of the prognosticators that annoy us day in and day out. Hardly, any one indicates how THEIR own money is invested, only how they think YOU should.:D

I want to end the debate once and for all about who is smarter - someone like you and me or someone like THEM.
  • How long have you been a timer, and how has it gone? Sorry if you have already delved into this prior.
  • edited November 2015

How long have you been a timer, and how has it gone? Sorry if you have already delved into this prior.

I have been running my 3 models (short, mid, long) for over 3-4 years. I manage my 401K and to smaller extent IRA assets based on what each model says. if all are positive I'm 100% equity. If all are negative I'm 0% equity. Right now I'm 33% equity since only 1 is positive.

The way I do it is as long as the market moves in the direction of what my models are telling me I allocate up or allocate down. If they move in opposite direction, I do nothing and wait for my models to tell me which allocation % to move toward. I always gradually move toward % allocation my models are telling me.

For instance let's say 2 of my models turn positive as opposed to 1 right now. This would mean my target allocation would be 66% equities. I will start creeping up toward 66% as long as market keeps moving higher. If market reverses course I will stop creeping up and do nothing and wait till the next shoe drops.

I have a mailing list of some close friend which has grown up to around 24 people. I stopped accepting random people on that list. I do not know WTF I'm doing necessarily, but it helps me sleep. My ANALysis is as good as anyone else's.

As an aside, I also have a separate "Buy" and "Sell" signal that I had scrapped in the past, but recently re-instituted with a "Sell" due to public demand on my my mailing list. Now, let's see how my Fooly Owly signal works. I'm going to take some money of my IRA and use Profunds to track Fooly Owly. I might copyright the sucker and use it instead of my "Buy"/"Sell" signal. However, I will let my models dictate my non-taxable investments. Taxable I try do prudent cost averaging.