Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

5 Things To Consider In Emerging Markets

FYI: After a bad 2015 for emerging-markets stocks, there are potential bargains available for investors willing to take on the added risk of this volatile sector.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.wsj.com/articles/what-investors-should-consider-in-emerging-markets-1452482749

Comments

• Brazil: A politically corrupt country with an economy heavily reliant upon natural resources.

Russia: Vladimir Putin and an economy heavily reliant upon natural resources.

China: An economy managed by a clueless Communist dictatorship in the midst of imploding as the enormous bubble in the Shanghai stock market continues to correct, similar to the US dot.com implosion of 2000 to 2002:

Shanghai stock market: July 2014 - 2036
    June 2015 - 5023

"5 Things To Consider In Emerging Markets" ??

Sold to you.
  • edited January 2016
    "There are potential bargains available..." [what is a "potential" bargain? as distinguished from what--- isn't everything?]
    "More investors might be thinking about taking that risk ..." [might be? well, that's certainly an observation (?) worthy of cogitation, I guess, although I may have to think about it]

yada, yada, yada
    I ain't bitin' and I ain't buying until the air is out of the tires and hell is in the handbasket!
    [Note to WSJ editors: please ignore your Master's bidding; these shallow, re-tread pom-pom pieces whenever global markets are in decline make your pub look really pedestrian and, besides, he's busy with his marriage to Jerry Hall and all that (yes, that Jerry Hall, gossip,gossip) and won't even notice]

Of "potential" interest to MFOers "might be" a comment to this article by one Marek Kotelba:

The seventh-largest holding of the Thornburg Developing World fund (THDAX) recently was Facebook Inc. Supposedly, this diversion is motivated by investing in "developed-markets companies with major economic ties to emerging markets in addition to those headquartered in emerging markets." So, how to explain a top-ten 2.2% position in Kansas City Southern (KSU), which is a US railroad company? By its single rail passageway between Mexico City and Laredo, TX? This type of investment leeway only results in disturbing the asset allocation in the overall portfolio. Luckily, services like https://goo.gl/I1ue7J make it easy to discover and analyze the true exposure of such funds.