Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Consumer Confidence Falls To Lowest Levels Since July

FYI: This morning’s report on Consumer Confidence for the month of February was a big disappointment as the headline index came in significantly lower than forecast. While economists were forecasting the headline index to fall slightly from last month’s reading of 97.8, the actual reading was five points below forecasts at 92.2. That was the lowest level in Consumer Confidence since last July, bringing the headline index back below its long-term average of 93.4.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.bespokepremium.com/think-big-blog/consumer-confidence-falls-to-lowest-levels-since-july/

Comments

• Looking at my VFIAX 500 index fund, if I had sold in May I would still be gone (although there have been some nice dividends). The result is that I am not in a rush to buy a new Apple watch. If the question is "What (non-portfolio goodie) are you putting off buying until the market improves" has a non-null answer, then no wonder consumer confidence is not as positive as economists would predict. The decrease in my portfolio's value far exceeds any savings I have made with lower gas prices.

Cheers
  • hawleyl said:

The decrease in my portfolio's value far exceeds any savings I have made with lower gas prices.

The increase in auto repair costs due to crumbling roads far exceeds any savings I have made with lower gas prices.