Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Manning & Napier CEO Patrick Cunningham Resigns

FYI: Asset manager Manning & Napier (MN) announced on Wednesday that CEO Patrick Cunningham has resigned.
Regards,
Ted
http://blogs.barrons.com/focusonfunds/2016/04/20/manning-napier-ceo-patrick-cunningham-resigns/tab/print/

MFWire.Com Slant;
http://www.mfwire.com/common/artprint2007.asp?storyID=53877&wireid=2

Comments

• I never understood why M* shilled for this firm's funds for so long.
  • edited April 2016
    I owned two of their int'l funds at different times, years ago, EXWAX and EXITX. Preferred the latter although M* always talked up EXWAX and never even did a report on EXITX. They were decent performers until around 2011, and they haven't done much of anything good since then.

Have to wonder if there's any traceable connection with the ipo in late 2011.
  • I generally have a positive opinion of the firm; however, when an asset manager is a public company, it always raises a bit of a stewardship concern in my mind (even a great firm like TRP). Manning & Napier has also been expanding their liquid alternatives capabilities, including them in target date funds and other allocations funds--something that doesn't excite me greatly.

The firm does have low investment minimums when you invest directly, and has been recommended on MFO for that reason. I held MSCBX, a conservative allocation fund, since its inception in 2012 but sold it a few months ago when I was simplifying my portfolio.
  • "Cunningham said Thursday that he is retiring due to a health issue of a family member that requires his attention."

And, too, assets under management have declined by $13 billion - 25% or so - in three years.

David