Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

best unknown

Mr. Snowball gave us SFGIX. Any other suggestions on the best up and coming equity or balanced mutual fund that nobody yet knows about?

Comments

• @shipwreckedandalone: We need a new equity or balanced fund like we need a hole in the head.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @shipwreckedandalone: There are always funds that members like here, but hard to beat Vanguard's allocation or balanced funds. They are consistent, low cost and very well managed.
  • Slick, agree with you on VBINX. Always amazed how that falls out of favor briefly and then rises back to the top 10%. Also VWELX.
    I have not bought it and might not.... but I am watching and beginning to research RIMHX. Behaving well last few months.
  • You can always find funds that outperform in the short term, and we all have been tempted to go to the dark side when we see them:) It looks like a fine fund, but I would suggest you look at VDIGX for that category. Many equity income and dividend and income funds have fabulous records when value is performing better than growth like now. VDIGX is consistent, low cost, holds up well in funky markets (as does RIMHX) but for my money, I would add VDIGX instead.
  • Yes, I agree. I like VDIGX also. Interesting that Fidelity shows VFINX (S&P 500) has the same dividend yield as VDIGX when VDIGX's purpose is to target dividend growers. RIMHX looks good short and long....it has a better 10 year return than VBINX (60/40 index) at present. Still researching.
  • Try not to compare funds that are not in the same category. VDIGX targets large caps with growing dividends, not always the highest dividends, and the S + P does not all have growing dividends. Comparing an equity income fund like RIMHX should not be compared to a balanced fund. They are two very different animals.

You might like to hire a fee only advisor, who works on an hourly rate to help you do a plan. That's a good place to start. Develop the plan and then find the funds that fit the plan, not buy the funds and build a plan around them.
  • HJPSX consistently beats its benchmark by a wide margin, yet no one seems to notice it because it's for Japan.
  • Both VFINX (S&P500) and VDIGX are actually categorized by Morningstar as Large Blend but my point was that if you are buying VDIGX for dividend growth it is no better than VFINX which contains a lot of non dividend payers, so as you may not get the downside protection you are looking for in VDIGX as its yields shrinks in this bull market.
    I personally don't buy funds that have to fit into numerous sectors b/c it forces you to occasionally buy bad funds in bad sectors. My investment philosophy is built around VBINX as the 65-75% of the assets (which contains all sectors) and then adding the best managers available in small allocations. Hence, the reason for the discussion topic. Thanks for the VDIGX idea.
  • edited April 2016

Mr. Snowball gave us SFGIX. Any other suggestions on the best up and coming equity or balanced mutual fund that nobody yet knows about?

As far as up and coming equity funds, so far I like ARRFX. Other under the radar funds I like are AGLOX, PGFIX, VETAX, UBVAX (closed). 2 of these are focused funds, so they might not be for everybody. I am of the philosophy that if one wants to buy an actively managed domestic large cap fund (that is not themed based such a dividend or sector fund), invest in a focused fund. Otherwise, invest in an S&P 500 index fund. I use an S&P 500 index fund as my core stock fund, and generally buy focused funds for satellite large cap exposure.
  • Thanks Chinfist I will check those out.
  • edited April 2016
    You might like to hire a fee only advisor, who works on an hourly rate to help you do a plan.
    A good idea "maybe", and I use that only for someone who knows nothing, but from what I've read of @shipwreckedandalone 's posts, he doesn't need to spend money on an adviser to work up a portfolio.
  • >> suggestions on the best up and coming equity ... mutual fund that nobody yet knows about?

You have already looked into DSENX (or CAPE)? (NOBL, SPHD, and especially OUSA do not have large bases yet, I think, or whatever the word is.)