Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How To Invest In A Bond Market Gone Crazy: Tom Atteberry, Manager, FPA New Income Fund Video & Text

FYI: Bond investor Tom Atteberry, who runs the FPA New Income fund, explains how he protects investors from the threat of rising rates.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.barrons.com/video/how-to-invest-in-a-bond-market-gone-crazy/048141A4-D100-468F-A5E5-F91F0A6D3654.html

Comments

• edited October 2016
    "This transcript has been automatically generated by Sarah Palin and may not be 100% accurate."
    I ... we might ... is that we ... were talking about ... the zero negative this negative interest rate policies of Europe and Japan ... forcing that ... capital is here to look for yield somewhere else which means it comes to the US ... driving our rates down to ... the demand goes up ... and appear time when our conomy is really growing better than those in the lead is this to justify the low right ... now also causes a problem for the ... Reserve Bank is it thinks about raising short-term interest rates ... it's looking to hire a short-term interest rates but long-term interest rates of decline with the two of the same ... I have the more I The typical promise once you ... grow ... Swiss constraining what the Fed can do it ... so thinking about a flat yield curve or what its implication is that he is okay if you think of a banking takes EMCD money an entrance ... lens that money up to individuals and businesses ... if the CD rate rises towards very close to the rate that they begin to lead the money out ... they no longer make a profit doing that ... the declining about lending to do so what does it say constrained lending which is what you need to get an economy to grow faster ... discussing ... current unwinding its less profitable for ... the dude lets up ... we don't have a crystal ball to the ending we just look at the imbalances and along the spine economy slows down to justify the longer term rates a half because money is coming from overseas ... I really start to run the risk of things overheating inflation being Iran to reprice thoughts ... these are bought CEOs six return ... in the media ever return hire that inflation could justify credit risk whichever one ... after readjust that means that when prices decline to get you to the law ... so we look at it and so I am I really paid for ... lending money to look says she's the US government to a really well in the U S government money for ten years and one half percent ... Deutsche think over the next ten years ... that inflation is going to be higher than one percent milk was two or three with him how his either ... that doesn't owe us make sense ... so yes did realize ok ... I can lend out money that was how far can be one of three years maybe five years ... we understand the real you accept the lower return than in the interim ... which are thinking of longer term don't really want that money to come back ... for when the imbalances gone away ... yields might be higher I can then redeployed much more attractive return ... when you begin to trade office we look at what's the role that were playing in someone's portfolio for the war of the bomb components someone's overall portfolio worst bolstered the anchor for response to the local chili cook off ... Portugal's be the protector of capital ... bill the risk Apple is really all the equities for ... real estate deal other items to my puzzle remembering lower all this ... we look at that's ok the we need to play the role the role is anemic sure this is a low volatility strategy ... because we understand they're doing ... investors into another high volatility ... investing ... and that's ... more fun to do that ... you will find Indigo that means that ... I will underperform the ... longer term and is forecast to one ... so what will happen to them as he gets if ... rates rise so it is one of low caste to reprice the bowl sponsor bills longer portfolios we've chased yield stress and and with the result is going to be ... the value of their portfolios and rock ... it will probably drop by more the in the mountains income the chair generates of the end result for them as is the Total Return becomes less than zero