Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Underknown bond funds

Most likely other members own less discussed and know funds, like GIBIX or GIBLX, retail version. Perhaps because the retail version has only been around one year it does not make most cuts when members are looking for established bond funds. I bought DBLTX as many did in 2015, but have not liked its extremely high concentration in securitized bonds. I traded it for GIBIX a year ago ( I have a ML account) and then bought its retail version for my ira at Fidelity. Solid returns, better downside capture than its index, Great Owl Fund, 5* at Morningstar and in top 10% of category since inception in 2012. Any others have undermentioned funds they like?

Comments

• GTO is an ETF similar to GIBIX. Need to use limit orders.
  • @Mitchelg Thanks for the input.Here is a link to the Etf you mentioned.

GTO
    Guggenheim Total Return Bond E T F
    http://gi.guggenheiminvestments.com/products/etf/gto
  • Wow, GIBIX sure has some impressive performance. Has anyone looked under the hood a bit? Just looking at M*, it's underweight treasuries and heavily overweight asset-backed.
  • expatsp: As a multi sector bond fund, it definitely has a slug of asset backed, but far less than DBLTX, which is why I opted for the change.
  • @slick Ah, no, actually only about 12% of DBLTX is asset-backed, as of 9/30... about 3X less than carried by GIBIX.
  • @Heezsafe: I should have clarified better, I meant that mortage related bonds were 82% of portfolio: Asset pass throughs, Agency MBS CMOs, Non Agency Residential MBS, Commercial MBS, in addition to Asset Backed. My error.