Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The 10 Best Mutual Funds To Buy For 2017

TedTed
edited November 2016 in Fund Discussions
(MFO's What's Your Best 10)

FYI: The only certain thing about 2017 is that it will be challenging for investors. And that is exactly why we’re here to help investors out … by lighting the path to the 10 best mutual funds to buy for the coming year.

The Top 10 Mutual Funds to Buy for 2017The backdrop right now is a difficult one: rising interest rates, a maturing business cycle, a new president. Investors have good reason to feel cautious, if not downright nervous.

But now is not the time to hit the sidelines and move completely into risk-off mode.

In any market, bull or bear, you’ll have your share of underperformers and outperformers, so if there’s any money to be made, you need to find the latter. And more broadly, there are plenty of plays designed to capture gains while protecting against the next correction.

We’ve selected our top 10 list of the best mutual funds for 2017, then, with both eyes on the difficult market and economic conditions in mind. This list represents a diverse roster that should help you navigate the challenging year ah
Regards,
Ted
http://investorplace.com/2016/11/10-best-mutual-funds-to-buy-2017/view-all/#.WDrJ3n0SVOZ

Comments

• Under no circumstances does this information represent a recommendation to buy or sell securities.
  • HSTRX - are you kidding me? It has been so long since that one came up, I thought perchance it had been liquidated. Not only has it lost almost 85% of its assets since 2011, it has increased its expenses by about 8% from that year, too. I really had no problem with the other 9 recommendations (oops, not recommendations, really), but Hussman? Would have picked QMNIX or VMNFX for some kind of hedging, but definitely not Hussman.
  • @BobC Just FYI, my suffering in HSGFX has been offset by HSTRX:-)

I have mentioned many times I have viewed my holdings in both funds together as ONE position - my largest. Last year I started taking loses in HSGFX. Rolling the sales into HSTRX has not worked out to badly.
  • edited November 2016
    HSTRX is a better fund than HSGFX. It's mostly a short-term income fund with a lot of bonds, a little gold exposure, some utilities and the like for good measure. The direction of gold during a given period often determines how well the fund performs relative to peers. (Placing it in any peer group is problematic - but won't stop M*):)

Sadly, just based on HSGFX's past performance, I wouldn't want the guy anywhere near my money.
  • IF I wanted Hussman to control some of my money (which I do not), I'd be more incline to go with a 50:50 mix of HSRTX:HSRTX... but only if I thought Hussman was a decent fund manager (which I do not).

Different strokes for different folks.
  • edited November 2016
    MikeM said:

IF I wanted Hussman to control some of my money (which I do not), I'd be more incline to go with a 50:50 mix of HSRTX:HSRTX... but only if I thought Hussman was a decent fund manager (which I do not).

Reminds me of the time (long ago) when I asked the bartender for another "Squirt & 7-Up". Cut me off immediately. (But we agree on Hussman) :)