Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Templeton's Hasenstab Says Mexican Peso Undervalued

FYI: The negative effects on the Mexican peso from potential trade restrictions have been excessively priced in by markets and do not reflect fair value, Michael Hasenstab, chief investment officer of Templeton Global Macro, said on Thursday.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.reuters.com/article/emerging-investment-templeton-idUSL9N18Y024

Comments

• Have you guys bailed on Hasenstab? Flat over the past 3 years....
    FNMIX has done better. DIBRX has not performed great either.

• Reduced considerably my multiyear holding in TGBAX (pretty much a scratch trade, made a tiny profit as I recall) and I'm down to a 6K toehold. Holding mainly to keep access to that class of the product for when global/EM bonds return to favour.
    00BY said:

Have you guys bailed on Hasenstab? Flat over the past 3 years....
    FNMIX has done better. DIBRX has not performed great either.

• Are you sure you can buy more shares? I've spoken with a few brokerages who have said that they'll let you hold these shares, they'll even let you transfer them in and buy more with dividend reinvestment. But they won't let you place "buy" orders, only "sells."

This seems to be fairly common. I've asked this question about a few different funds that have closed to retail investors and gotten similar responses.
  • I'm staying with my small position for past 4 years.
  • GIM, maybe the time has come, maybe.

• Don't know, didn't ask! I won't worry much ... if I can't, I can dump it and buy GIM if I want the exposure.
    msf said:

Are you sure you can buy more shares? I've spoken with a few brokerages who have said that they'll let you hold these shares, they'll even let you transfer them in and buy more with dividend reinvestment. But they won't let you place "buy" orders, only "sells."

This seems to be fairly common. I've asked this question about a few different funds that have closed to retail investors and gotten similar responses.

• edited December 2016
    Getting the SARs and ARs from TGBAX, I haven't been on the Franklin website in ages -- but in poking around there this evening, I see the following items/updates, which were NOT distributed to shareholders via the same channels we get 'regular' fund info from. (I only noticed the reduced dividend when it hit my account for the first time, but otherwise if I didn't see my statement I'd never have known about that. And I just now learned of the Sept announcement about the change in distribution policy ... so if I hadn't checked the website I'd not have know about that, either.)

While probably legal, I don't appreciate such methods of under-the-radar shareholder updates from a fund company.

Sep 27 2016 Templeton Global Bond Fund Fiscal Year-end Date and Distribution Policy Changes Effective 12/31/16 - Read More

Templeton Global Bond Fund will change its fiscal year-end date from August 31 to December 31 and change its distribution policy to begin paying a variable distribution, scheduled to be effective on December 31, 2016. For more information on these changes, please contact your financial advisor or call Franklin Templeton Investor Services at (800) 632-2301.

May 18 2016 Templeton Global Bond Fund – Dividend Adjustments in May 2016 - Read More

In May 2016, Templeton Global Bond Fund adjusted its dividend as follows: Class A from $0.0300 to $0.0200 per share; Class C from $0.0262 to $0.0161 per share; Class R from $0.0276 to $0.0175 per share; Class R6 from $0.0338 to $0.0239 per share and Advisor Class from $0.0323 to $0.0224 per share. Dividends vary based on the fund's income. Past dividends are not indicative of future trends. For more information, contact your financial advisor or call Investor Services at (800) 632-2301

• "Getting the SARs and ARs from TGBAX. ... [On the fund's website] I see the following items/updates, which were NOT distributed to shareholders ... I don't appreciate such methods of under-the-radar shareholder updates."

From the AR dated August 31 (M* version, SEC version):

Effective December 31, 2016, as approved by the board of trustees at a meeting held on July 13, 2016, each of the Funds’ fiscal year ends will be changed to December 31.

Effective December 31, 2016, Templeton Global Bond Fund, which has historically sought to pay a level distribution amount from net investment income on a monthly basis, will implement a variable pay distribution policy.

Perhaps your radar is on the blink?

• Maybe. I sure ain't perfect....
    msf said:

Perhaps your radar is on the blink?