Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Long, Hard, Unprecedented Fall Of Sears

FYI: (RSVP to a Chicago institution)

In 1989, Sears Roebuck & Co. ruled America as its biggest retailer. It loomed over rivals from a perch high above Chicago, inside what was once the world’s tallest building—one bearing the company’s name.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-08/the-long-hard-unprecedented-fall-of-sears

Comments

• I always had the impression that this was all Mr. Lambert's fault but the article suggests that by the time he got involved Sear was in big trouble.
  • I didn't get that from the article jerry. Kmart was in trouble when he took it over but he is pretty much responsible for driving both of them into the ground.
  • Ah I remember back in the 50's grandpa stated every outhouse in the country once had a sears or wards catalogue. Now one company has gone through the outhouse and the other is no doubt in there. Local sears store has about sold out - closing soon.

Lost faith in Kmart when they fired older workers and replaced with cheap. All three did not meet internet until they were in trouble. You would think kings of mail order could adapt.

Walmart just lowered shipping and handling charges trying to compete with amazon.

Gary