Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Young People Should Put Down Their Smartphones, Step Away From The Avocado Toast, And Do This

FYI: Millennials, here’s one way to avoid a regret that’s plagued people for generations: Start saving for retirement immediately.

Nearly 3 out of 4 adults have financial regrets, with not saving enough for retirement sitting at the top of that gloomy list at 22%, according to a Bankrate survey released Tuesda
Regards,
Ted
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/young-people-should-put-down-their-smartphones-step-away-from-the-avocado-toast-and-do-this-2017-05-23/print

Comments

• edited May 2017
    Here's another regret they might have--not having lived while they're young. The idea that all meals out with friends and family--moments you may treasure for the rest of your life--are "mindless" or that buying coffee to say study for a test or just for the sheer pleasure of being alive and enjoying a coffee is always a waste sounds like the typical view you hear from these financial planning types. They're busy wagging their fingers at kids when in fact young people are making less money today in low-end jobs on an inflation-adjusted basis than they did thirty or forty years ago in many states. It also makes the assumption that every young person will live to retirement age when in fact they won't. It's a matter of achieving balance--enjoying some daily pleasures--and saving. It's also a matter of paying young people appropriately.
  • Rather than my employer paying me out of pity, I'd prefer to be compensated because my employer values my contributions.

There is no silver bullet. You need to find the right balance that works for you both now and in your future.
  • I never heard of "avocado toast". Just saying......
  • Turns out millennials are more frugal than previous generations: motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2017/05/what-do-millennials-spend-all-their-money
  • It is unfairt to paint the millennials with a broad stroke. Several college graduates I hired recently are actually quite responsible young folks.
  • @LewisBraham. Given I invested in stock market just before dot com bust while my friends were buying lexuses, and then did not after the crash for fear, i came out the worse. So I can agree to "living while you were young". For instance, I dunno if I will every go to Europe now, I should have when I was young.

HOWEVER, let's not forward the notion that old timers are going to bail out students with starbucks-latte laden credit card bills. I'm very sorry if you got into Harvard and can't pay for it. If you get a student loan, and you don't become Obama by the time you are 50 to be able to pay it off, then that's your problem. Similarly if you want to go find yourself at a private college that costs the same as harvard but is inferior to your public university, then you shouldn't even be granted a loan (which is really a government issue).

I remember putting myself through grad school and graduating with only $3000 debt. This was in early 90s. I paid it off in my first year. I had 2 days of entertainment in grad school. 2 $1 movie tickets. I didn't buy a new car when I started working. I first paid off my debt. The next year I put $3000 toward downpayment for a CIVIC.

The problem with millenials is personal responsibility. My older is spending $9 - $18 on lunch everyday. I keep telling her she has a part time job and she can spend whatever she earns so it is all good now. Once she gets to college, that has to stop.

This is not about painting millenials with a broad stroke. However I can tell you right now my friends growing up were not those who turned up their noses when I went to their house in my beat up hatchback or my checked shirt from k-mart. If so, they wouldn't be my friends. If you need to purchase a $100 denim so you can make friends, YOU have a problem. At Costco it costs $15. You don't want to invest and think long term, fine. That is your prerogative. But don't come crying to mama later.