Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• One can only imagine the meetings, if there were any; for the decision making process.

On the side of irony:

"U.S INSTITUTE OF PEACE
    "The Budget proposes to eliminate earmarked Federal funding for the United States Institute of Peace (USIP), given it serves a niche mission that duplicates other Federal programs. The funding included in the Budget reflects close-out costs for USIP, particularly to pay severance costs. No additional Federal funding will be needed in 2019 or beyond."
  • @catch22 - I'm guessing they feel that increasing the military budget will take care of that there peace thing.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • "Mexico will pay for the wall" - $1.6B budgeted

"$1T in infrastructure spending over 10 years" - $200B budgeted over ten years,
              hoping that the private sector will add $800B more that but for Trump would not have been spent

"No one will lose health coverage" - $800B cut from Medicaid

Consistent?
  • My budget would increase the audit budget of the IRS by 100 million$THat seems the easiest way to increase revenue without increasing taxes.
  • Mulvaney says it's from the viewpoint of the taxpayer, not those moochers!

Massive gov support for the (undeserving) rich, the rest can die.

This is comical:
    http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/05/trump-budget-based-on-usd2-trillion-math-error.html

Mnuchin close to as hapless as Mulvaney, who is exceptional:
    https://newrepublic.com/minutes/141394/meet-mick-mulvaney-trump-goon-wants-poor-kids-go-hungry
  • He said that his plan aka Thumpcare will "cost less and everybody get coverage. It is gonna be terrific, you will see." Only 24 millions (largely the poor and old demographic) Americans will lose medical coverage.

"4-5 % GDP is achievable". Whatever he is having I want some of that too!
  • From the New Republic article: "No I don’t think so," Mulvaney says. "It's one of the most compassionate things we can do."

Sounds like he's putting his dog down. With this statement a lot of my confusion has dissipated.
  • @MFO Members: Let's not get to excited, its a budget that will never see the light of day either in the House or the Senate.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • It's worth highlighting the NYMag article. (This is the one I saw yesterday, there are many other ones out now.)

Yesterday, reports (e.g. NYTimes here) that broke down the changes in this "spending neutral" budget showed $2T in savings from economic growth.

It's odd to put economic growth on the expense side of a budget. Normally, and what Trump had been saying, was that tax cuts (i.e. revenue reductions) would be compensated for by economic growth resulting in more taxes, so revenue would also be neutral.

But this "economic growth" appeared on both sides of the ledger. This is why the administration has been caught flubbing accounting 101.
  • Ted said:

@MFO Members: Let's not get to excited, its a budget that will never see the light of day either in the House or the Senate.
    Regards,
    Ted

Didn't they say the same thing about the AHCA, with 17% public support?

• edited May 2017
    Ah, but @Ted, don't you see that the psychology is fascinating. Start with a budget starving both children and granny, then, when people scream about the children half, work on a compromise saving babies and children and just let the other half ride. (or vice versa) And so on for the entire budget line items. People scream about the line items, not the overall policy. That way they presumably prioritize and you can keep the vote next election.

It may be genius or it may be short sited. It depends on how granny reacts to her sacrifice or, if the vice versa plays out, how many news outlets start running stories of hungry and sick children that would have been saved in the past century.

Dismissal may be premature. The voter sensitive distancing has begun. The fix may be in soon.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • haha, if only

as though he's not real :)
  • The NYMag article contains a link to the budget doc:
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whitehouse.gov/files/omb/budget/fy2018/budget.pdf

I suppose it could be viewed as a joke book for the green eyeshade crowd.
  • Maurice said:

People get help. The first step is to admit that you are suffering from Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Not TDS, I'm in the throws of DTS.

• haha, if only

as though he's not real :)

Ha! (I live in denial.)