Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The 50 Best TV Theme Songs Of All Time

FYI & Enjoyment:
In 2008, Paste claimed “there’s no denying we’re past the golden age of the TV show theme song.” Nearly 10 years later, with new shows popping up weekly on every conceivable (and previously inconceivable) platform, we’re not so sure. Television is arguably as good as it’s ever been, but have the songs survived as the integral element they once were? In a way, yes: The two biggest shows that aired between 2008 and today, Mad Men and Breaking Bad, both led off every episode with a memorable credit sequence that captured an essence of the show—Mad Men’s ratting drums and melodramatic strings, Breaking Bad’s simmering slide guitar and sinister hissing. But it was basically mood music, kind of like the screeching techno that leads off Silicon Valley now. Sometimes those wordless ditties are pure gold, like the harrumphing waltz that begins every Curb Your Enthusiasm—or, for that matter, M*A*S*H*—but it’s not exactly the stuff of Archie and Edith at the piano or the old-timey photos ahead of Cheers, when a show’s theme could tell you a little story by itself. (Silicon Valley’s end credits are getting a lot of the talk these days).

On the other hand, the advent of a) forward-thinking streaming series, like Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt on Netflx, and b) great shows suddenly appearing on formerly anonymous networks (Crazy Ex-Girlfriend on The CW) has opened the floodgates to anyone who wants to nail a theme song and set their show apart. Where does Kimmy Schmidt’s remix magic rank with the greats? Which old-school classics hold up best? How great is it, really, to rhyme “horse” with of “course”? Here are the 50 Best TV Theme Songs of All Time.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/05/the-50-best-tv-theme-songs.html?a=1

Comments

• Lots of smiles and memories, there! Thanks, @Ted.
  • edited June 2017
    Some good ones, to be sure. Mike Post indeed wrote many themes of my youth.

I'll toss in 'Airwolf', 'Miami Vice', and 'Renegade' as ones that should've made the cut, too. Come to think of it, Nelson Riddle's jazzy opening to 'Emergency' would be up there as well....depending on which season or version of the show you saw, kudos to him for making the backing instruments sound both like a siren and EKG monitor. :)

The late '70s SWAT theme has been remade many times, including for dance clubs. The first time I heard it back in college while out with friends I was laughing so hard in nostalgia that folks thought I was nuts.
  • I don't think anything beats Hawaii Five-O, IMHO.
  • edited June 2017
    I'm afraid All in the Family wouldn't fare very well today. Read into that what you like.

Sorry - went off topic. However, as theme songs go it's hard to beat Edith & Archie singing the lead-in every Saturday night.
  • I don't think anything beats Hawaii Five-O, IMHO.

LOL, it's definitely up there! dah dah dah DAH-da .... dah dah dah DAH-da

• I guess Jan Hammer's work for Miami Vice is not a song.
  • I second Bonanza. Star Trek will never be forgotten either. These themes have been burned into the psyches of all boomers that grew up with TV. There were so many...The Honeymooners, I Love Lucy, The Tonight Show...the list is almost endless. Don't forget Sanford and Son.
  • edited June 2017
    Green Acres...is the place to be.
  • Hi Guys,

I'm taking the liberty to expand the best music search to include movies. That's especially warranted given my choice and the very special event that happened on this day over 70 years ago.

My choice is the theme song for "The Longest Day" movie. Today is the anniversary day for that war changing challenge. We succeeded, but just by some uncommon bravery coupled with uncommon hesitancy on the part of the German high command. Courage and a little luck carried the day.

A salute to those who carried that day!!!

Best Wishes
  • One of the most recognizable themes of all time: Twilight Zone