Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What Happens When Two Monkeys Are Paid Unequally for The Same Work? Behavior & Econ. 101

FYI: This is a 2 1/2 minute clip of experiments done with monkeys to determine their reactions to unequal compensation for doing the exact same type of "work."
Regards,
Ted

Comments

• what's the connection to mutual funds?
  • edited June 2017
    @Mark. For once it is under off-topic. However, if one mutual fund manager got less money than another mutual fund manager for doing the same job badly, means one of the monkey either got lucky or was a better negotiator. So there is a lesson to be learnt somewhere hear. Just think of your favorite mutual fund manager. I promise you it is not too hard.

Now there is this bald monkey I know who's an exception to this experiment. This monkey has a character flaw. He does not worry about reward only karma. This monkey, needless to say will never be rich and works till he drops dead. He can however help you spot other monkeys. Because this bald monkey, is actually human, because he only thinks about his purpose, and not his reward. Needless to say a minority, and not a mutual fund manager. What Darwin may have had in mind when he said humans evolved from ape-like creatures.
  • I wonder what happens when they are paid the same amount and one does much less work.
  • The one on the left was probably told by the primate in chief she was "too bossy" and that she should stop complaining and take personal responsibility for her lack of equality and just go home and make babies already.
  • @Lewis: I'd be very very careful, if one of our female MFO Members reads this, she might conclude your a male chauvinist pig !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @Ted Typical neocon inversion. Somewhere surrounded by flames Ailes is smiling.
  • True story - Back in the early '70s I worked at a mail order medical testing place (later closed by the government). I worked along side a man that had less education and didn't suffer from a hard work complex. I asked the personnel department why he was paid more than I was. I was told that a man naturally was paid more because he had more responsibilities as the primary breadwinner. This answer referred to a divorced man in a more-or-less assembly line of divorced women. More women had primary breadwinner responsibilities but I am sure the point escaped the all male personnel department.

Another one - Later the same decade I landed the number one job opening in my field. When he learned this my thesis prof told me that he was concerned because, although I was one of the smartest, or maybe even the smartest woman he knew, that still left me average on the male bell curve.

I am a female member and I don't think it as likely that Lewis is a chauvinist as a limited few others at MFO.
  • And things didn't change very quickly. In the mid 80's, when I was in grad school, I was told by a crusty professor that I had prevented some deserving young man from attending MIT because I had stolen his spot. I hope things have changed enough that my daughter never has to deal with these kinds of comments. And I agree with Anna, I would not jump to the conclusion that Lewis is an MCP.
  • bartab said:

I wonder what happens when they are paid the same amount and one does much less work.

Exactly. This is common. We don't really worry about it do we? Monkeys or no Monkeys.