Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

ACA/Michigan healthcare insurance rates for 2018 announced

Comments

• @catch22: It appears that in Michigan the ACA isn't so affordable with a 31% increase !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Morn'in @Ted
    I recall all states have a cutoff date in June to announce ACA projected insurance rate costs and that June 21 is the cutoff date for Illinois. Michigan's announcement date was yesterday, June 14.
  • @ I have health insurance through my pension fund, and have no need for individual policies.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • You are fortunate, Ted. Count your blessings.
  • Understood, Ted.
    Obviously, the insurance rate info is for those affected by the need for coverage not provided by an employer or similar circumstance. A lady in the neighborhood with a teenager in the household will not be as fortunate as those covered by workplace healthcare plans, eh?
    Fortunate you are, to have healthcare costs over and above Medicare provided payments schedules to be covered by your pension provider.
  • Fortunate 'I've got mine' Ted hasn't kept up with the new ACA sabotage, without which it would not be anybody's idea of failing.

Not to worry, it will all be over soon, and ACA will be looked back at with the most intense longing.
  • I'm afraid you're right David....you can't fool with the CSRs and then feign surprise when the insurers either exit or raise rates through the roof.
  • @catch22: Thanks for info. I am trying to help someone with dependents figure out when (and how) to retire. Planning is impossible.

Agree with @davidmoran.
  • @ I have health insurance through my pension fund, and have no need for individual policies.
    Regards,
    Ted
    I'm guessing the same statement is echoed in the chambers of the Senate and the Congress.
  • actually no (pension)
  • @davidmoran Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose.
  • edited June 2017
    :)

History primer review today from PK twitter:

The key to what's going on goes back to the origins and logic of that conservative solution Romneycare. It was an attempt to make healthcare available to people with preexisting conditions.
    One answer would be Medicare for all --- politically out of reach.
    So compromise: regulate insurers to prevent discrimination based on med history; mandate individuals have insurance to prevent gaming / ‘death spiral’; subsidies so lower-income can afford insurance.
    This achieved a lot of coverage at relatively low cost.
    Republican answer for people with low incomes and/or preexisting conditions is
    (1) deregulate everything and the magic of markets will make insurance affordable for all. Or
    (2) the poor (incl Trump-loving working class) and the sick should just die already; tax cuts for rich are more important.
    The first is obvious voodoo which even Rs can't say with a straight face, while the second can't be said at all.
    So the way to proceed, aside from just letting existing ACA work, is to work in secret and try to pass hastily.
    This is why questioning Rs about what they're doing, and why, gets answered with word salad. There's no honest, non-awful answer.