Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Consuelo Mack's WealthTrack: Guest: Elda Di Re, EY National Tax Department

FYI: It’s been three decades since the last game-changing tax reform legislation was passed. Washington is in the midst of another major tax overhaul effort now with huge implications for many. In an exclusive follow-up discussion with EY’s Elda De Ri, we tackle the possible ramifications and actions to consider before year-end.
Regards,
Ted
http://wealthtrack.com/taxing-consequences-what-you-need-to-know/

Comments

• beebee
    edited November 2017
    Is this where "re-gifting" finally loses it's negative connotation?

Estate planning moves main stream (...not really):

No way I will ever challenge the present $5M nor the proposed $10M limit, but why not sell assets keeping the new tax proposal (stepped up basis provision for transfer of estate) in mind.

So, if I have 100 shares of xyz stock that I need to sell for income. Instead of selling them from my taxable portfolio and paying the taxes on the capital gain, I instead, gift them "in kind" to my family member first.
    -They receive the gift (with a stepped up basis),
    -They then sell the xyz stock at the stepped up basis price,
    -They pay no taxes on the capital gain since it was eliminated when I first gifted xyz stock to them,
    -They then "re-gift" the proceeds back to me (cash proceeds)...minus a steak dinner and a few nights of sleepovers for the grand kids.

This sounds a lot like how a Roth IRA works, but better. It doesn't have pedestrian contribution limits ($20M for a couple), no withdrawal (age) limits, nor any Roth conversion costs (income tax).
  • I don't think it works that way. Gifted shares retain the original owner's basis. No step up except at death.
    David
  • dstone42 said:

I don't think it works that way. Gifted shares retain the original owner's basis. No step up except at death.
    David

This is where reincarnation would come in handy... thanks for the memo.
  • "No step up except at death", or except for the 1/2 community property owned by the still living spouse.

In most states, when one spouse dies, that spouse's share of jointly owned property gets a step up, but the surviving spouse's share doesn't. If that property is owned as community property, then all of it gets a step up.