Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• @Lewis: Apparently you didn't get the latest news, Amazon Narrows Its Headquarters List Down to 1 City. Chicago
    Regards,
    Ted:)
  • A couple of paragraphs (largely fluff) on each of fifteen cities that didn't make the cut.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-hq2-losing-cities-list-2018-1/#detroit-michigan-1

Detroit, inadequate "talent" pool, Orlando, insufficient higher-ed facilities; Bay Area, too close to Seattle; Baltimore claims crime not a concern; San Diego is on West Coast and offered weak incentives; Phoenix, a "subdued" bid; Salt Lake City small population and not far enough from Seattle; Portland way close to Seattle.

All it says about Milwaukee is that Scott Walker sent a letter with its bid. Perhaps that's what killed it:-)

• @msf: Apparently, like Lewis, you don't understand, its a done deal !
    Regards,
    Ted:)
    Chicago: Frank Sinatra:
  • @Ted Well, if you're gonna base your prediction on old timey Sinatra songs, there'd be at least two cities in this race:
  • @Ted @LewisBraham As the son of a native Newarker (and born there myself), I’d like to think that Francis Albert would be pulling for his native state:
  • @davidrmoran: Boston ? please !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • easy-peasy chicken dinner
    hub o' the universe
    etc.
  • I live 8 miles from Amazon headquarters in Seattle. They have completely
    messed up the city. Apartment rents have doubled in the last 5 years, for a million dollar house one gets a 1950's crapbox, homeless are everywhere camping out next to the freeways and congestion makes driving in Seattle a nightmare experience.

The Amazon tech slaves vote to pass every bond issue and every crackpot ballot issue.

I have cut my visits to Seattle by 80% preferring to head in the opposite direction.

The great one Jeff Bezos has been a total taker and has not given back any of his 110 billion wealth to help solve the problems his company has created.

It is a laugh to see cities drooling over the prospects of having Amazon screw up their city. Good luck!

My daughter lives near Austin and I pray they do not choose it.

Mitchelg

• @Mitchleg: Its called gentrification, and is happening in most U.S. major cities.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • no, gentrification is not that, come on
  • Bezos is a taker. He does not give back to the community.
  • https://seattle.eater.com/2017/7/17/15983558/farestart-amazon-expansion-open
    Nonprofit Farestart, which offers food service job training to people struggling with poverty, addiction, homelessness, or a criminal record, celebrates the staggered roll-out of its five new Amazon campus restaurants this week.

The expansion is made possible by a major donation from Amazon announced in February. ... The donation from Amazon includes more than 25,000 square feet for a new full-service restaurant, three fast-casual cafes, a coffee shop, a catering venue, and training classrooms. As with the nonprofit’s current three restaurants, the new ones will be open to the public.
    FareStart sounds like Delancey Street in San Francisco.