Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Q&A With Scott Minerd, CIO, Guggenheim Partners: "The Bull Market’s Days Are Numbered"

FYI: Time is running out for the bull, says Scott Minerd, a founding managing partner and global chief investment officer for Guggenheim Partners, the New York-headquartered investment firm, which manages $295 billion. Minerd sees upside for U.S. stocks, before a recession arrives in late 2019 or 2020 that will derail this mighty market and prove painful for bonds, as well.

Minerd, 58, based in Guggenheim’s Santa Monica, Calif., office,oversees client accounts invested in a broad range of fixed-income and equity securities. Guggenheim’s taxable fixed-income mutual funds are in the top decile of their respective Morningstar categories for the trailing three- and five-year periods.

In a recent chat with Barron’s, Minerd also explained the perils facing municipal bonds, given the new tax law’s restrictions on deductibility of state and local taxes. Two things he’s bullish about: international stocks and active management, especially in fixed income.
Regards,
Ted

Comments

• beebee
    edited February 2018
    In a recent chat with Barron’s, Minerd also explained the perils facing municipal bonds, given the new tax law’s restrictions on deductibility of state and local taxes.
    Doesn't he have this wrong or incompletely thought through? Though municipal property tax (SaLT) are no longer tax deductible, Muni investment income is still tax free under the new tax law.

This should make tax free munis bonds even more attractive in high SaLT states.
  • msf
    edited February 2018
    I got to read the whole article through google, this google search may or may not work for you.

You're right that the cost of lending just got lower for high tax states. He doesn't discuss this. What he says is that Connecticut and NJ are losing their tax base as high income earners flee (at least in NJ this has been happening for some years thanks to NJ's rising property taxes).

The loss of SaLT deductions, effectively hiking taxes for these states, accelerates the trend. This in turn lowers property values (reducing state & local revenue) and income tax revenue, putting bond ratings at risk. For good measure, he threw in Illinois.

Completely separate, he's predicting a GDP growth of 2.5%, up from 2%, due to companies being able to immediately write off of capital expenditures (instead of amortizing).
  • No one is yet fleeing eastern Mass suburbs, to the contrary, and they are horribly expensive, very close to the NJ level. Maybe it'll swing, though I doubt it.
  • Mass: 17th highest property tax rate, 1.21%
    NJ: 1st highest property tax rate: 2.31%
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2017/04/16/comparing-average-property-taxes-all-50-states-and-dc/100314754/

Highest average property tax for a town in Mass: Weston, MA $18,059
    http://realestate.boston.com/luxury/2017/02/14/like-live-weston/

Highest average property tax for towns in NJ:
    Millburn $23,327 ($1M average home value)
    Loch Arbour $22,323 ($1M average home) - hardly counts, just 189 people
    Tavistock $21,689 ($1.7M average home) - only 4% as large, just 8 people
    Alpine $20,910 ($2.7M average home) - property tax rate a relative bargain for NJ
    Tenafly $19,866 ($800K average home)
    Mountain Lakes $19,775 ($800K average home)
    Rumson $19,146 ($1.3M average home)
    Glen Ridge $19,045 ($500K average home)
    Mendham Township $18,752 ($900K average home)
    Essex Fells $18,743 ($900K average home)

https://www.app.com/story/news/investigations/data/2017/07/31/highest-property-taxes-nj/487845001/
  • Oh, I know; there are worse. But as you like to tutor us, averages can be so misleading. (And rates mean little.) The tax on my old 3ksf ranched-out cape worth a little over $1M in a town next to Weston Mass. is within a few percent of the average of the NJ towns listed above (just under $19k compared w/ just over $20k). Everything will be higher this year, of course. I must ask my NJ friends in some of the above towns about the reality of "losing their tax base as high income earners flee". One argument is that this will be a good thing in the long run.
  • beebee
    edited February 2018
    Just a little math and a little music...To qualify for a $800K mortgage in any of these high tax communities requires an pretty sizeable income...your call.

Let say this process of home "loanership" is a 30 year adventure...a decent career for you and a time spread for all your kids to get out on their own. Half of us will have divorced and need additional resources to somehow make two households work.

In Milburn, a $1M home will require a $200K down payment to avoid PMI...good luck with that as you are just out of college with $200K in student loan debt. An $800K mortgage (P&I @ 4% for 30 yrs) will run you about $3800/ month. Add almost $2K/M for taxes and $200/M for insurance and as a "home loaner' you will need $6K/month or $72K/YR to hang your hat. I have not mentioned the lifestyle costs nor the $250K/kid costs you will encounter...I did mention the likelihood of divorce.

Over 30 years the cumulative cost of property taxes alone will equal or exceed the $800k mortgage. So the banks gets paid...the city gets paid...the ex gets paid... the dentist gets paid...the utilities get paid...you get screwed.

You get to wake up everyday and try to prove to your boss that you are worthy of this rat race salary so you have the privilege of getting clipped to cover all these costs plus the ongoing cost of maintaining the properties (after the divorce your property is a little smaller and a little outside of Milburn, but still costly) and other monthly bills.

Welcome...Home Sweat Home...here's to a simpler time that we threw away:

• But as you like to tutor us, averages can be so misleading. (And rates mean little.) The tax on my old 3ksf ranched-out cape worth a little over $1M in a town next to Weston Mass. is within a few percent of the average of the NJ towns listed above

You wrote that taxes in eastern Mass suburbs were very close to the NJ level. I'm fine discussing whatever metric you had in mind when observing that the levels of taxes were close.

Rates mean little when they're just the "official" figures. The state rates given in the USA Today article were "effective" rates, i.e. actual percentages after exemptions, abatements, whatever chicanery goes into one's tax bill. For example, the official rate for California is 1% (Prop 13), while the effective rate in the article is 0.77%. That's because Prop 13 caps annual increases, so the effective rate of each home is reduced over time. (California is the oddball state where property taxes are standardized.)

Geographically, you must be right on the Weston border: "Danoff my neighbor in Weston"
    https://mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/comment/92578/#Comment_92578
  • @bee - I'd say that I don't know how people do it, but I really do. There are enough high paid young professional couples (doctors, lawyers, Indian chiefs, ...) who can handle the cash flow demands, including paying for the nannies and the student loans, that support these prices.

Nevertheless, the numbers, which you went through in gory detail, still boggle the mind.
  • edited February 2018
    >> You wrote that taxes in eastern Mass suburbs were very close to the NJ level.

You got it. You took issue. Perhaps I should have done as you subsequently did and omitted 'very'. Also made it clearer that it is some suburbs, not all. Gosh, I wonder if that is true in NJ too.

What will prove interesting is if there is flight from eastern Mass.

>> Rates mean little when they're just the "official" figures.

Yes, you got that too.

[something about California here]

>> Geographically, you must be right on the Weston border: "Danoff my neighbor in Weston"

Yes, you got it: Wayland. A hat trick for you tonight!

I have never tried to obscure that. (I also use my real full name. You, or anyone, can look it all up.)

It must always be good for one's online soul to get a monthly dose of finger-wagging, warranted or not.
  • I simply asked you to substantiate or at least quantify your statement that taxes were close (very or not). Or was this just a gut feel based on a sample size of one?

In any case please let us know how your NJ friends are feeling about their taxes these days after you ask them. For NJ, emmigration has been a problem for over a decade, even if your friends are staying.
    The increase in the loss of tax revenue from New Jersey has plagued the state since 2004, when state legislators imposed the infamous “millionaire’s tax.” The inception of this tax, coupled with New Jersey’s already high property and estate taxes, leaves no mystery about why the term “tax migration” has become a buzzword among state residents and financial, legal, and political professionals.
    https://regentatlantic.com/File Library/Tax paper/Exodus-on-the-Parkway-2-25-14-FINAL-VERSION.pdf

I'm pretty sure that Danoff doesn't care what his taxes are. The fact that some of your neighbors are inured to rising taxes doesn't mean the other 99% take them in stride.

Weston median income (2015): $201K (from Census survey).
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/12/18/town-town-look-income-massachusetts/cFBfhWvbzEDp5tWUSfIBVJ/story.html

(CNN thinks it's over $600K, but you can't trust everything you read on the web.)

• @Bee, good one. Always enjoy your posts. Have a sister who moved from NJ to Florida a few years back. Still have a brother in law in Summit, both retired. One of the worst towns for taxes.
  • https://www.citylab.com/equity/2016/06/do-taxes-really-cause-the-rich-to-move/487835/

https://www.njpp.org/budget/the-exodus-is-more-like-a-trickle

>> gut feel based on a sample size of one?

too funny

>> The fact that some of your neighbors are inured to rising taxes doesn't mean the other 99% take them in stride.

Right again. If you went to town meetings in the expensive suburbs you would know that many do not take them in stride at all, although of course the very wealthy, many of whom do take it in stride, tend not to speak about it at town meetings. I'm a believer in taxes but the tensions among class diversification, fair compensation of public employees (average Wayland teacher salary is $94k or so, well above Weston), and tax burden often seem intractable.
  • I was wondering when you'd link to the njpp piece.

Look at the graphic showing the primary exodus states for NJ. Missing is where NJ stands relative to these states. According to the Tax Foundation (source cited by graphic) NJ had the third highest tax burden in the country; so except for NY, all of the exoduses shown were to lower tax states.

It's actually funny to see the piece lead off by arguing that Mass. has a comparable tax burden to NJ. Funny because the Tax Foundation source talks about a 1% difference in tax burdens not being significant, while the difference between NJ and Mass reported is double that (12.2% vs. 10.3%). To put it differently, NJ's tax burden is 19% higher than Massachusetts'. (I'm just repeating data from or cited by pages you gave.)

The piece says that a "substantial majority" of the emmigration is offset by immigration as though that were to diminish the exodus. What it really means is that a significant minority (about 20%, per CBPP article cited by the piece) of the emmigration is not offset. In fact, between 2010 and 2015, New Jersey had the "third largest net domestic out-migration, behind New York and Illinois and just ahead of California." (Those are four of the six top states in tax burdens, according to the Tax Foundation page. Mass. is #12)

Some parts of the piece sound like a sales pitch: "These valuable assets and others are what make New Jersey an attractive place to live, work and raise a family for almost 9 million people." Though taken at face value, all this does is give a reason why net emmigration is not even higher. It doesn't lend support to the argument that high taxes have no effect on how "sticky" New Jersey is to residents.

The second piece starts out acknowledging that "A new study finds that the wealthiest Americans are less mobile than lower income workers, but those who do relocate are looking for a tax cut." So despite all those valuable assets, the motivating factor for moving, if people can maintain their income levels elsewhere, is high taxes.

Getting back to the njpp piece, it notes that "More importantly, the amount of new revenue gained from the [income] tax change dwarfed the tax payments that would have been made by those few who left."

The aforementioned CBPP piece says something similar: "policymakers in most relatively high-tax states still have considerable room to increase income taxes on the affluent before they should worry about the potential effects on migration." Emphasis added.

Two takeaways:

1) Normally, when a state raises or preserves high income taxes it may net greater revenue albeit on a declining tax base. However, when people pay more in taxes (due to eliminating SaLT deductions), the state only loses revenue as its tax base erodes. That was the point of the Barrons article, and nothing here has refuted it.

2) New Jersey is different from other states - CBPP acknowledges that there are a few high tax states where increased taxes would have a worrisome effect on migration. My guess is those few states don't reach past the top ten for tax burdens. That would certainly explain your local observations.

Talk to your friends in New Jersey. Let us know their impressions.

For kicks, here's what may be the most detailed, quantified analysis of tax migration effects, national and NJ-specific, that I've found. It was prepared by staff of the NJ Treasury Dept. in 2011.
    http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/gsef/Tax Migration Study_with tables.pdf

Like the CBPP paper, it states that "Clearly, our results do not suggest that tax-induced migration would come anywhere close to eclipsing the immediate revenue gain from an income tax increase". But also that "average marginal tax rates had a small but significant effect on migration decisions in the U.S. and in New Jersey. We estimate that higher New Jersey income taxes [2004-2008] was associated with a reduction of more than 20,000 taxpayers and a loss of annual income of at least $2 1/2 billion."

• slick said:

@Bee, good one. Always enjoy your posts. Have a sister who moved from NJ to Florida a few years back. Still have a brother in law in Summit, both retired. One of the worst towns for taxes.

I'm sure it feels that way, because NJ property tax rates are high almost everywhere, and Summit has some of the highest property values in the county. (It's at the eastern edge of the county closest to NY, is a "neighbor" of Millburn, is located at the convergence of two train lines to NY, and has a real downtown, unlike many other nearby communities. And some very nice homes.)

Nevertheless, Summit has the lowest effective tax rate in the county. (Effective rate meaning rate on actual property values, as opposed to assessed values that may not represent the actual values). A "mere" 1.85%
    http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/lpt/gtrunion16.pdf

• @msf, wishing to live near my Gkids in the state of New Hampshire had me screening town property tax rates as one metric for house searching. So, Home Value + effective property tax rate + property insurance costs + state income tax + state sales tax + utility taxes + (many more costs) are all important variables to consider when comparing the cost of living in any particular state.

I find it Interesting that Hawaii also has some of the highest property values and some of the lowest property tax rates in the country.
  • beebee
    edited February 2018
    CT already has poor urban cities with very high property tax rates and low property values...Hartford, Waterbury, New Britain, New Haven, Bridgeport, Norwich...where the town resources are stretched and the educational outcomes are always challenging. Each of these towns are bordered by wealthy communities that also have high property taxes, but also high priced homes.

CT is made up of 169 Fiefdoms (local town boards) that have had little interest in promoting regionalism, or affordable housing. Most of these towns like to keep their public...private through higher hurdles of entry (high home prices) and (high taxation) and lack of affordable housing.

I'm sure a Greenwich or Darien or Cos Cob or Rowayton taxpayer would agree that there public school rival many private schools in CT, but mention the notion regionalizing and merging these high achieving public schools with "out of district" inner city kids and see how public they feel.

• One NJ resident friend of mine who has been a local-new reporter and editor at the Bergen Record (now filling in at the NYTimes and at Newsday) only had this speculation, with nothing more concrete or data-based:

I think that [new, due to the new tax cuts] tax emigration could well happen, although I doubt there’s been a stampede so soon. Even without the new deduction issues, a fair number of people leave their high property tax towns once their kids leave the school systems [while staying in-state]. This has been true for a long time. That’s in part because rates vary extremely widely between counties and even between towns within counties. And of course no shortage of people retire and head south, because of both lower taxes and the climate. Nothing new there. This must be true in Massachusetts, no?

He pays well above $20k in property tax and will downsize to a condo in a couple of years, he says.
  • Sounds about right, thanks.

So, there's a long term pattern of migrating from high taxes (a study I linked showed this going back to 2004 if not earlier); a good chunk at least just reflects normal migration (e.g. Florida retirements); hard to break down how much is spurred by taxes.

New tax law could likely accelerate "tax migration" (assuming that at least part of current migration is already motivated by taxes), or create "tax migration" (assuming it does not already exist).
  • One link I provided, can't recall which, noted (I think) that if you take out Florida, it is harder to see tax migration effects, if any. I think, not a clear memory.
    But all of those links, whether you thought them solid or less so, are from well before the new tax laws, of course, so your last sentence must surely be true.
    A local 'voter network' newsletter that tracks town finances closely arrived today with 'Wayland properties with high values and high annual tax bills (over $20,000 annually) generally take far longer to sell.'
    So the hit to pricing here and in NJ may be just a (short) matter of time. That would be something, though not helpful for high taxes, really.