Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Which Company Is The Alpha Male In Your State ?

FYI: Largest Company by Revenue in Every State:
A lot of people look for jobs at big companies because they can be great places to build a solid career. Unfortunately, if we measure the size of a company in terms of annual revenue, there may not be a lot of options in the state where you live. Check out our new map to compare the size of the largest companies headquartered in every state
Regards,
Ted
https://howmuch.net/articles/largest-company-in-every-state-2018

Comments

• Largest employer base in every state:

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-biggest-employer-in-every-us-state-2017-11

Largest company in every state is an interesting statistic; but doesn't necessarily relate to jobs in that state, eh?
    Not a lot of real auto manufacturing remains in Michigan, versus previous.
  • I'm not sure about that - not that the auto industry hasn't shrunk a lot, but it may still be the miniature elephant in the state.

Given that the comments on the BI article date back four months, the data must be come from before 2018. Here's Crain's data for Michigan, January 2017. GM has (or had) the largest number of employees actually working in Michigan. The state government was third, and U Mich fifth.

• @MFO Members: My link as stated was the Largest Company By Revenue In Each State. Catch22's follow-up shows the Largest Employer In Each State.
    Example:
    The largest company by revenue in Iowa is Aegon, while the largest employer is the U. of Iowa.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Hi @msf
    My bad, most assuredly. Was on the run, and U of M being largest employer in Michigan should not have missed my attention.
    I most definitely defer to Crain's, a most respected business publication for Michigan; as to the accurate numbers.
    I am tempted to contact those in the link I provided as to where and how they compiled their numbers.

SIDENOTE: Related to the big 3 auto numbers in the Crain data for 2017. I generally don't dig through any auto data for Michigan; but slightly recalled some data from a small report I wrote in the late 1970's.....but, couldn't pull good numbers from the old brain cells. So, I became curious. I found a 2003 Michigan State report that offers some related data regarding the rise and fall of auto manufacturing in this country and this state.
    ---a pseudo current baseline from Crain's indicates about 135,000 big 3 auto employment for 2017

I chose to track down numbers for the birth and death place for GM in Flint, Michigan as to peak employment numbers.

---Flint only, GM production facilities = peak year of 1969 with 64,000 employment
    ---All big 3 auto peak Michigan = 1981 with 335,000 employment
    ---Flint only, GM 1981 = 52,000 employment

---High average manufacturing annual salary was 1999 at $63,404.

The quick and dirty numbers that stick out to me is that Flint (GM only, 1969) employed,
    in one community, is almost half of the total of all big 3 today; and the 1999 wage.
    These numbers "speak" as to the transition for manufacturing in the U.S. These changes could be easily viewed, if one was paying attention.

*** I presume the 1999 wage is not only assembly line workers, but skilled trade as well and also includes overtime pay. I recall conversations regarding periods of substantial overtime hours through various business cycles. In the "good old days", there were boatloads of money sloshing throughout the state.

OK......I'm out of time.
    Take care,
    Catch
  • edited March 2018
    The biggest employer in every state is probably the government, and interestingly enough, red states generally have higher concentrations of government employees than blue:
    governing.com/news/headlines/gov-states-with-most-government-workers-are-more-conservative-analysis.html

https://247wallst.com/special-report/2015/05/12/states-where-the-most-and-least-people-work-for-the-government/print/
  • The stats in Catch's link cover only private employers, "excluding public administrative bodies, such as state governments."
  • Since only private companies are shown, my state (NM) shows our local utility PNM as the largest employer. Over 50% of employment here is government related, top three University of New Mexico, followed by Los Alamos Labs and Sandia Labs. People who work at the labs are generally the highest paid in the state Talk is always about reducing their dependence on government for most of our jobs, but it has changed little since I moved here in 2001.
  • msf
    edited April 2018
    Reiterating what Ted wrote, the original link shows largest (private) company headquartered in each state - size determined by worldwide revenue.

It's not a list of largest private employers (worldwide) headquartered in each state.

Catch's BI page is a map of the entities that employ the most people in each state. That includes some public employers as well as private ones.

While it excludes public administrative bodies (as AndyJ noted), it still includes public employers who, well, do something real. Like education. That's why it shows University of New Mexico - a public entity - as having the most employees in NM. Perhaps slick can say whether it has more employees than Sandia or Los Alamos.

Slick is also stating that in the aggregate, all public entities employ more people in NM than do all private employers. (Though often via outsourcing, e.g. Sandia is operated under contract by Honeywell.)

Lewis seems to be saying something weaker. That "the government" is larger than any single private employer in most if not all states. For example, in Michigan (see Crain's, above), if you add U Mich, and the state government, you get more employees in state than GM has. Though GM and Ford combined still have more.

In VA, the largest employer appears to be DoD, not the state. Still, that's part of "the government".
    http://bi.virginialmi.com/rdPage.aspx?rdReport=lmitools_industry&tabsIndustry=tpnlAreaSummary&rdNoShowWait=True (click on Largest Employers tab).

Each observation is correct, while each is also saying something slightly different.
  • edited April 2018
    @ msf, yes UNM is our largest employer at 12,000. This does not include the unm hospital system. It us often called the 800 pound gorilla in economic development.