Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Microcap fund recommendations

mns
edited March 2012 in Fund Discussions
I'm looking for alternatives to my current microcap holdings of AVALX and RYOTX. I rode AVALX up as a risk play but I'm now looking for a less feast or famine type fund. WSCVX is one fund I'm looking into. What do folks here use for their microcap exposure? Any recommendations? Thanks!

Comments

• Check out SATMX-Satuit Capital U.S. Emerging Companies (formerly MicroCap). High expenses but fine return for such a wild ride. David Snowball noted this fund in his November 2011 Commentary. For something a substantially more tame because of large cash holdings check out: PVFIX-Pinnacle Value. David Snowball profiled PVIFX also in November 2011. Peace out, Rick

• edited March 2012
    I have AVALX in non-taxable account. I also have WSCVX, SATMX, and PVFIX in taxable accounts.

I also have TMCGX and BRMCX (which is supposed to be reorganized in June 2012 into BRUSX if approved by BRMCX shareholders). I sold PREOX to buy BRMCX, but may revisit PREOX again later this year (all of which are in taxable accounts).

You may also be able to buy Allianz's Micro cap and Ultra micro cap funds at TD Ameritrade in nontaxable account for T/F and low minimum.
  • edited March 2012
    Symbols for Allianz "I" funds are: AMCIX and AUMIX.

Some other possibilites are: BRUFX (NAV around $400.00 per share and I believe you have to buy directly from the transfer agent. A bit more of a hybrid fund with microcaps), WAMVX, WMICX, SCMVX, HRTVX, PDFDX, and PRCGX.
  • I've owned Wasatch Microcap Value (WAMVX) pretty much since it opened. On face, the fees are too high. On the other hand, Mr. B. keeps earning his keep so I haven't complained. I'd also consider Pinnacle. David
  • I've held PREOX for many years. Its main distinction is that its correlation with the S&P 500 is very low. Also its fees are generally lower compared to other microcap funds.

I am not particularly committed to this fund, but I haven't found anything significantly better. I would prefer something a little more focused, with less than 50 stocks. PVFIX might be more my style, but it carries a transaction fee at my brokerage and I do not need the large cash cushion.