Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Open Thread: New Year, New Buys/Sells?

edited January 2014 in Fund Discussions
Added to Gibson Energy (GBNXF), added to Vornado Preferred, Graincorp (GRCLF), Monitise (MONIF), Qualcomm (QCOM) and Diageo (DEO) so far this year on the stock side. May consider BP as well as some of the larger Canadian energy co's.

Added to Marketfield, Ivy Asset and some AQR Momentum.

Comments

• Happy New Year Scott!

Added to FAAFX.
    Added to WBMIX.
  • beebee
    edited January 2014
    I established a hsa account with BRUFX at the start of 2014. Funded this with a one time transfer from a Tax Deferred IRA account. The Health Saving Account will distribute funds tax free for the purpose of paying health related expenses. As an individual over 55 years of age I was able to contribute (transfer) $4300 in 2014.

I am also setting up individual Roth conversion accounts for TY2014. I will have 5 small Roth accounts ($5-10K) and invest each account in a singular theme. Hopefuly one or more of these themes produce positive returns between Jan 2014 (account setup) and April 2015 (when taxes on the Roth conversion are due).

If the investment theme reaches my conversion period goal of "appreciating 'equal to or greater than' taxes due" (I am in the 15-20% tax bracket) than I will convert the account to permanent Roth status. If one or more themes fail to grow adequately I will recharacterize the accounts back to Self Directed IRA status.

One theme is PM Miners using USAGX / GDX / GDXJ. Another will be Japan-centric. A third will be Global Tech. A fourth will be Health Care related. The fifth will be invested according to a momentum based strategy.
  • edited January 2014
    no changes
    just bought wifey a new diamond, cleaned me out lol
    unclear if diamond are long term investments holdings
    80/20 in 401k
    may get new bonds here and there if find the right deals
  • Took the plunge and bought some RSIVX by exchange from RPHYX and sales from VIG. Intend to keep considerable RPHYX as a cash alternative, though.
  • Reply to @johnN: Wasn't there going to be a physical diamond ETF at one point? Guess that never happened.
  • I bought RSIVX, but still have a larger position in RPHYX. No changes in equity funds yet.
  • Pedestrian moves, but considering selling DODWX for either ARTGX or FPRAX as core "global value" fund (20-25%). Am concerned about Dodge AUM at this point, but have trouble stomaching the ARTGX fee.

Also considering moving from DODIX to a unconstrained fund with smaller AUM. Something like SUBYX or RSIVX. Don't know the wisdom of that, though.

Lastly considering moving my stake in Seafarer to fiancee's portfolio and just splitting EM exposure through ARTWX/GPROX and MAPIX.
  • Reply to @johnN: Same boat, only it was engagement.

Online diamond shopping is definitely the way to go, however.
  • After having posted my holdings in another thread, I looked at them as if I was looking at it for the first time, realized I had two many investments all doing the same thing. I sold DVY, DTN and divided it between my VIG, SMGIX and PKW. Also sold 1/3 of McDonalds and added it to UTX. I had been holding onto the other two Etfs I think because I thought they gave me further diversification, but as Ive seen here, it was part of my deworsification. Always learning thanks in part to MFO and its members:)
  • edited January 2014
    Bought CELG (thank you GS for the downgrade!)
    Initiated BDMIX
    Added RSIVX, NABAX
    Sold a bunch of smaller ETF positions. Needed to consolidate.

• edited January 2014
    Reply to @mrdarcey: Congrats!:-)
  • Added shares of Matthews Japan, MJFOX.
  • edited January 2014
    Just some new thermals from Amazon cause it's -40 wind chill in Michigan. Here's the Amazon link if anybody's looking for some. Very warm. http://www.amazon.com/Duofold-Weight-Wicking-Bottom-XX-Large/dp/B006SRTFH8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389106669&sr=8-1&keywords=thermal+underwear+mens

We take a modest IRA distribution beginning of every year. Actually moved that $$ out of equities in late Dec with the high valuations. That put us little higher on cash than would like to be. Waiting for a modest pullback to off-load little cash. Of course, if Mr. Market just wants to keep going up and up forever and forever, I won't complain:-)

When I do reverse and begin to add to equities, I'll begin with our most conservative equity fund - that being PRWCX. As noted earlier, also did a year-end rebalancing with a little going from the best performers into laggard PRPFX.
  • Reply to @scott: Thanks. She let's me do all the investing as long as "I don't do anything crazy." Definitely a keeper.