Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Art Cashin: Economic Recovery May Get Out OF ICU

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Am I the only one wondering why this 75-80 year old man continues to labor five days a week on the floor of the NYSE - and than "moonlight" with a second job as a CNBC commentator? He looks haggard. Tired out. I'll bet there's many here that were comfy retired by the time they were 10-20 years his junior. Why ain't he relaxing on some sunny beach or traversing the globe in search of new experiences? Did some of his earlier trades go awry?

I know some will cite Buffett and others working into their 80s. But, these folk ain't standing on their feet 8 hours a day at the stock exchange, working through holidays, and then having to get all made up for lights and cameras every day. Dunno. Maybe I'm missing something. But if I could talk to him I'd say: "Art - life is short. Spend some of that big bankroll you surely amassed. Get out of this rat-race and enjoy life before it's too late."
  • Reply to @hank: Did you ever think that maybe he enjoys what he's doing, just as I do. Just got the results of my stress test, passed with flying colors, and will be 77 next Monday.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Reply to @hank: I suppose it's to each his own. I agree with you Hank. When my time came, I retired and now I am enjoying life. Some prefer to enjoy life working.
  • edited January 2014
    Reply to @Ted: You're being too kind to me Ted - and I appreciate it. Suspect you've nailed it pretty good.

And: Happy to hear you checked-out well. Regards
  • edited January 2014
    Reply to @hank:

http://www.xavierhs.org/s/81/index.aspx?pgid=603

Art is a good Jesuit educated boy. Sounds like a great guy considering his all his charitable activities. I was a bit shocked he graduated HS in 59. I graduated from another Xavier HS in 65 so unless Art skipped/held back a grade that would make him 72 going on 73 this year. Not to take sides because I agree with Hank he needs to get out of the rat race and enjoy some of his other passions in life before it's too late. But I also agree with Ted because maybe his passion is the market.

Edit: Rereading his profile I see he lost his wife over 15 years ago and a daughter 6 years ago. Being a widower, his life passion probably is the NYSE so more power to him.
  • Reply to @Junkster: Thanks for that link Junkster. Art Cashin is a class act for sure.

I also attended a Jesuit HS way back when. On a couple of occasions, I was educated with the hack paddle. No regrets at all. Maybe they should bring that back as part of the curriculum.
  • Reply to @Junkster: I'm a product of the Carmelite Order, Mt. Carmel High School, Class of 1954.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited January 2014
    Sorry, this post was supposed to be another discussion, and I can't seem to delete it...