Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Some former MFO board bond babes came to life today

edited January 2014 in Fund Discussions
The biggest day for Treasuries since October brought some life back into AQRNX (still a dog) PAUDX (another dog)
PONDX (good fund, great manager) and ANGLX (so-so fund loaded with mortgage backed securities) Not so good day for SUBFX (former darling now so-so) and I assume because they were short Treasuries.

If the first 10 days tell you anything it's all about biotech (Ted's fave) and junk munis which are really on a tear. If I am missing something please chime in.

Junk corporates have been muted compared to past Januaries. HFRZX, a pseudo bank loan fund, keeps rolling

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Yes, I saw that too.

Suspect it's based on hope of continued stimulus from Fed.

Most equity sectors off to slow start so far, except ones you mention.

Intercept Pharmaceuticals. Intercept Pharmaceuticals. Intercept Pharmaceuticals. Keep saying it...

After great 2013, I'm trying to temper my normal responses to market moves...at least so far. Just seems more like posture than substance, as cman referred to in other post.
  • edited January 2014
    I have linked below the bond benchmarks found in the WSJ. And, yes, it seems most all bonds are doing well year-to-date especially tax exempt and corporate high yields. In fact they are ahead of most stocks.

http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2_3022-bondbnchmrk.html?mod=wsj_mdc_additional_interestrates
  • beebee
    edited January 2014
    Reply to @Old_Skeet: I am using USTEX (LT munis) and USHYX (HY Corp) for these two holdings. Also, able to "trade" (exchange) to and from USSBX without trading restrictions as per USAA (ST Treasury) fund rules. Holding just a small amount of PONDX.

Don't Count PONDX and Income Bonds Out Quite Yet (2 quotes):

"One actively managed mutual fund that is one of my favorite core holdings is the PIMCO Income Fund (PONDX) which takes a multi-sector approach to specific areas of the bond market that the manager feels will outperform. They have done a fantastic job of managing interest rate risk in 2013 and taking advantage of opportunities (both inside and outside the U.S.) when they are available. This has led to year-to-date returns approaching 4.5%, an effective duration of less than 5 years, and a current 30-day SEC yield of nearly 4%."

"The key to success in 2014 will be to strike a balance between credit, duration, and sector exposure to achieve positive returns in fixed-income. One thing that can’t be discounted is the level of income, diversification, and low volatility that is needed by retirees, pensions, and a host of other conservative investors. Bond’s shouldn’t be ignored, but rather implemented in a strategic manner to achieve your investment goals with the knowledge that there may be speed bumps along the way."

Article:
    fmdcapital.com/2014-etf-income-investing-ideas-part-1-bonds/
  • edited January 2014
    Hi bee,

I am happy you are finding good returns with your fixed income funds. I am still with my three short term income funds ... LALDX, THIFX & ITAAX plus there multi sector funds NEFZX, LBNDX & TSIAX in the income sleeve of my portfolio. I have not yet checked their year-to-date performance ... but, with fixed income being up so far this year, I believe them to be also up ytd. Remember, though, income makes up about 25% of my overall portfolio with the fixed income sleeve accounting for about one third of this and the hybrid income sleeve the balance.

Old_Skeet
  • edited January 2014