Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Open Thread: What Are You Buying/Selling/Considering

2»

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Reply to @PRESSmUP: I've looked at both O and ARCP and may add one or both. I continue to own similar WP Carey (WPC) as a long-term holding.
  • Mostly just watching after doing some year-end portfolio rebalancing. Did sell CCASX in my ira account last week and bought GPROX to replace it. Looking for a little more international diversification in that account.
  • Reply to @scott: If you've owned WPC long term, you've done very well for yourself. I need to take a closer look...thanks Scott.
  • Nothing of late. As mentioned under a previous thread I bought gold miners (GDX) and am quite happy with the results thus far. Added to RP Strategic Income and three direct lending funds (including lending club). Very pleased with the direct lending funds.
  • edited January 2014
    Reply to @PRESSmUP: Thanks - unfortunately, I haven't owned it as long as I wish I had, but I've done well with it plus nice dividends. The company has raised the dividend for a little over 50 straight quarters, last I checked. The company is a global triple-net lease REIT with both private funds (the CPA funds) and internally managed RE. The company tends to go towards essential real estate, including headquarters, warehouses and other such assets. It is highly diversified, both in terms of geography and industry. The Kraft global HQ is among the assets in the internally managed RE portfolio, for example. WPC is a pioneer in the industry and has been doing it for 40 years. (investor day transcript from last year: http://seekingalpha.com/article/1322361-w-p-careys-ceo-hosts-investor-and-analyst-conference-transcript)

The investor day transcript is a lengthy read, but a highly detailed and enjoyable look into all aspects of the company.

Previous WP Carey executives have taken the helm at Gramercy Property Trust (GPT) and that REIT has done exceedingly well ever since.

I think WPC is rather different in its approach and owning ARCP or O would be similar but in ways complimentary/different. I am looking at adding either of those two, but WPC would remain a larger holding.
  • Reply to @davfor: davfor, I'm considering GPROX too, along with a couple of other G. Peak and Wasatch funds. What tilted you toward GPROX -- was it the broad portfolio and inclusion of all of the names they consider good ideas, or something else? Thanks, AJ
  • Keeping an eye on GTSCX. Have FSCRX and it has served me well, but it is getting rather large.
  • Reply to @AndyJ: Yes. The broad global "best ideas" approach (300 to 500 equities) and having 3 associate managers to supplement the 2 lead managers. For a fund with such an extensive universe of equities to pick from (they state it to be 30,000+), those factors may help to reduce the volatility of the portfolio somewhat without subtracting from long-term returns.
  • Reply to @davfor: Thanks; that's my thought too. I'm leaning that way, just need to read up on their specific process first.
  • Reply to @NickF: Nice call on this stock...22% YTD with a big day today (3.44%)...any comments?