Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

New Warnings From An Investing Pioneer

Comments

• "Look for the questions that are not being asked." That might be the smartest thing I've come across in quite a while. And not just about money and investing...
  • beebee
    edited January 2014
    "Or go gutsier. If you are tough, you might try emulating one of Mr. LeBaron’s most successful techniques at Batterymarch, where he ran a contest to see who could pick the stocks that would perform worst–not best–over the next year.

“It’s harder than it sounds,” he says–especially when you realize that Mr. LeBaron then went out and bought them all, more than 100 at a time. If you can hold on for several years, he says, “you should make enough on the ones that don’t go bankrupt to make up for the ones that do."

Using Google Finance, I screen stocks that had a PE of less than 14.2, a Market cap of $500 million or more, and the highest 52 week loss. I came up with 15 stocks...some with pretty decent dividends (get paid while you wait).

• At the bottom of the list: is that not the one A. Foster regretted buying, and later dumped it? Seems to me he is a very frank and straightforward gentleman.