Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Quick look at some board favorites with M* YTD performance plot:

RNSIX back in lead.

Then ARIVX.

Next PIMIX and BOND.

WBMIX.

SPY.

ARLSX slowest out of the gate.
  • edited January 2014
    ARVIX doing well. Wasn't that the fund everyone was furious about a few months back because it was being too conservative? Huh.
  • Reply to @scott: Through yesterday, a 3 yr compounded annualized return of 7.83% vs 14.26% for its category. I can think of a more apt description than "conservative".
  • Regarding the textbook start to 2014, unless there is a miraculous recovery end of day (and anything is possible) the Dow will be negative on the year which is quite a divergence from the chart of previous Januaries.
  • edited January 2014
    Reply to @Junkster: I guess I continue to disagree with the opinion of some, who seem to believe there is no place in anyone's portfolio for such a fund (but that's just me.)
  • edited January 2014
    Reply to @scott: Unlike you, when I was your age I was close to dead broke/penniless and with a negative net worth. Thus I didn't have the luxury of sitting tight with dog funds like ARIVX. In fact, my only option with $2200 (primarily from maxing out my credit cards) was daytrading stock index futures to get enough capital to venture into equity funds and then it was only the ones with momentum.
  • Reply to @Junkster: PMed you.