Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Health care continues to roll on.
  • TedTed
    edited January 2014
    Reply to @scott: Of course, I'm going to ask David that MFO members be required to own a health care fund.
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://blogs.barrons.com/focusonfunds/2014/01/28/drug-etfs-rise-pfizer-upbeat-about-cancer-drug/tab/print/
  • edited January 2014
    Any suggestions as alternatives to PRHSX? I've found the following etf's: XLV, VHT, IYH.

I'm trying to decide what fits well into my fund allocation, and health care has been a good tactical position. Perhaps another fund as an alternative to this closed fund would fit (I'm not sold on VGHAX). Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
  • TedTed
    edited January 2014
    Reply to @PopTart: FBTCX, but there will be no deviation from the plan, healthcare today, tomorrow, and forever.
    Regards,
    Ted

List Of Health Care ETF::
    http://money.usnews.com/funds/etfs/rankings/health-biotechnology-funds
    List Of Health Care Open-Ended Funds:
    http://money.usnews.com/funds/mutual-funds/rankings/health
    CEFs: HQH, HQL, and GRX
  • Thanks Ted!
  • Reply to @Ted: Ted, according to Schwab neither of those is currently open to new investors. Would you have any suggestions on alternatives?

Thanks-
    OJ
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: What's not open to new investors ? The ETFs, Open-End Funds, CEFs ?????
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited January 2014
    Reply to @Ted: Was thinking about PRHSX & FBTCX. Sorry about that.

On another note, your link re LA Sonders is interesting. If we do have a significant pullback it will be a nice chance to increase the equity side of things.

OJ
  • This site puts out how sectors are bouncing on up days and how stocks are oversold on down days? Is this a perma-bull site?
  • Reply to @cman: I don't know about perma, but certainly bullish.
    Regards,
    Ted
    https://www.bespokepremium.com/about/about-bespoke/
  • edited January 2014
    Howdy PopTart,

Don't recall whether you have direct access to Fidelity or not.
    Anyway.....

FBTCX is an advisory share class (high fees/load). Fido has a retail FBIOX; and you may choose to look at the more diverse FSPHX.....33% biotech mixed with pharma, med. delivery and med. services companies. From recall, about 22% foreign exposure.

Select Healthcare overview

Also Fido select pharma FPHAX, also no load with most exposure to pharma companies (52% foreign exposure), not so much biotech as the broader based Select Healthcare.

Keep in mind that the biotech is a more narrowly focused fund among the several Fido med./health related sectors available.

Healthcare funds list.....click blue headers to sort 1yr returns, etc.

Hey, past this; only 2 more months and then close to springtime.

Stay safe and warm.

Catch
  • Hey Catch,

Long time no hear, too long! Thanks for the links and the Fido options, I'll look into them as I have a Fido brokerage account.

Maybe above freezing this weekend, time to break out the bubbly...
  • This comment may be the kiss of death for FBIOX, in which I've been fairly heavily invested since Fido is one of the few families in my 403b, but it has done pretty well, and I think biotech is a bit better protected from political decisions in health care. For the next ten years in health care, biotech is probably where the growth will be reliable, if one's mutual fund manager is competent. In big pharma, one might be better off looking at drug pipelines and buying individual companies, although XPH has 4 stars and PJP has 5. FPHAX has 4 stars (as does FBIOX), but lags it's peer group for 3 years, according to M* (FBIOX exceeds its peer group by high single to low double digits for 5 years).
    If you indulge in health care, slant toward biotech.
  • You will probably not hear this from bespoke but by their own arbitrary definition, FBIOX is solidly overbought.:-)

If people who believe the same kind of technicals act on them, in the short term, it has upside of another 5-6% before a correction OR a correction now of about 10-15% to the downside. The latter likely if the market continues its correction and the former if the overall market is flat to up. You can ride it out if you believe in this asset class long term but be aware of its volatility and consequence of buying at tops. Choose your entry carefully if investing new money into it.