Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Closing Bell: Bloodbath U.S. Stock See Red ! Red 1 Red !

TedTed
edited February 2014 in Fund Discussions
FYI:
Regards,
Ted
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-stocks-see-worst-selloff-in-2014-02-03?link=MW_home_latest_news

Major Indexes: http://www.cnbc.com/id/15839215

YTD:
Dow: -7.57%
NAZ: -4.31%
NAZ 100 -4.31%
S&P 500 -5.84%
S&P 400 -5.80%
S&P 600 -6.92%
Rut 2000 -6.03%

Comments

• Horrible day.
  • Bloomberg just showed todays culprit. Emerging markets.

I just shake my head at this kind of TV reporting.
  • edited February 2014
    Bloodbath is too strong a word. Dow's down about 1200 points from the recent all time high around 16,600. A mere bump in the road. ... However, look at the NASDAQ - off over 100 points in a single day. Now, that's enough to turn some stomachs:-)

• edited February 2014
    Folks piled into EM early in 2013, and then into the broader markets late in 2013. And now public sentiment is turning negative. Next, I am looking for fund flows out of equities. Only a few more % to go, and money from my 4Q fund haircuts will be going back into the market.

I could only hope that my bowels were as predictable as investor behavior.

The Total Stock Market Index over the past five years. I'm trying hard to feel panicked but have mostly managed "mildly curious about whether interesting opportunities are finally emerging."

David
  • Reply to @David_Snowball: I'm not suggesting anyone sell, and I'm in favor of "just standing there."
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2014/02/03/jack-bogles-market-advice-dont-do-something-just-stand-there/tab/print/
  • edited February 2014
    One area that I am a little concerned about is telecom. You have what are effectively price wars (come over to us and we'll cover the penalties for leaving your current carrier!) and it does not appear to be good for any of the major carriers. Maybe there will be some more consolidation, but other than that...

AT & T and the others are offering great dividends, but we'll see if they are entirely sustainable.

I do think the market is oversold, but has further downside. I'm sure Asia will be brutal tonight.

• Well. some of us were looking for a decent pullback as a buying opportunity... this may be a decent entry point. What's on the world horizon that's so terrible or threatening that the stock market is liable to stay sold-off for a year or two? I don't see much going on out there other than the usual ups and downs here and there...

Interesting to note SFGIX (down ~8% ytd) vs WAFMX (pretty much steady so far).
  • Reply to @scott: The Nikky is leading the way again and the Hang Seng is open following a holiday. Both are down over 2% this morning. The Straits Times is down 1.07%.

It is feeling a bit oversold right now.
  • thinkin of buying ? gld....
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: Another 10% down in SFGIX and I would start building.

Currency wars are what is going on. When the pain gets really serious, real wars start.
  • Reply to @David_Snowball: Yeah, that chart looks pretty benign for now. Usually you have five or more of these little hiccups in a year but now we've become conditioned to straight lines!
  • Australia will keep its rate at 2.5%. This just broke on the news. Meanwhile every indice in Asia is red. Japan will open for the afternoon shortly.
  • Have we hit bottom? S&P Futures up 0.35% as of 10:50 PM EST

Nikkei is trading above where nikkei futures were at the NY close.
  • Reply to @MOZART325: Hope it sticks!
  • Reply to @MOZART325: Nothing goes up in a straight line, nothing goes down in a straight line. No point in looking at daily wigglies. The trend/momentum currently is down. The next major test will be the 200 day MA at around 1700. If that holds, the bottom would be somewhere around 1675. That is how many TA traders think. I just wait for the trend up to establish before committing any new money. No falling knives and value traps that way.

For people that wanted to get on the FBIOX train, 185 is still the next target price to get in. The technicals are strongly pointing in that direction.

The worst thing people can do is to pile on on down days as a way to deal with the recent losses. This is a psychological trap in the initial stages of a correction because one wants to rationalize the losses as a buying opportunity to be able to cope with it. In a 20%+ correction, this is the first step. Then people get worried and stop putting in more money and finally they start to panic and think of selling. Happens every time. Nobody can say whether this is the long expected correction or just a dip.
  • The Nikkei closed down 4.18% for the day. The Hang Seng was down 2.89%. All markets were down as far as I know. A very bloody day in Asia.
  • Reply to @cman:
    The worst thing people can do is to pile on on down days as a way to deal with the recent losses.
    Very much agree. Trying to catch a falling knife before we are even in "correction" territory has more downside risk than upside reward... IM<HO