Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

anyone read zacks?

edited February 2014 in Fund Discussions
I was reviewing some of their mfund research and despite lofty and smart-sounding rationales, it seems wildly off-mark and short-term at least for the handful of funds I am familiar with for a long time. This conclusion is from cursory inspection, though. I have not seen it mentioned much in these forums, so I pose the question.

Comments

• I agree that it seems much more directed at a trader mentality. Though on some level that seems useful in terms of deciding timing.
  • It has been my impression that their recommendations (i.e., buy-hold-sell) are more attuned to a short-term perspective. Others may have differing views, and it will be interesting to hear their perspective on this question, which seems to be timely and pertinent.
  • edited February 2014
    I though it would be helpful if there was some reports that could be linked to aid in this discussion so I'll start off by linking Zacks’ Mutual Fund Research page. On this home page you can select the time period along with the fund category you wish to view and then pull some of their research data.

http://www.zacks.com/funds/top-ranked-mutual-funds?#rank_in=ALL&TableType=1Y&fundtype=Balanced&ViewType=1Y

In addition, if you wish to view a fund report that can be easily done by entering the fund's tcker symbol in the research area. I have linked a fund report on TIBAX that I just reveiwed.

http://www.zacks.com/funds/mutual-fund/quote/TIBAX?q=tibax

And, a weekend featured article for you reading enjoyment ... "Three Ways to Play This Correction."

http://www.zacks.com/stock/news/122421/3-ways-to-play-this-correction

Each person will have to decide if Zacks' provides meaningful information. I am not one of Zack's members; however, the information that I can access as a non member does, for me, provided meaningful information.

I wish all “Good Investing.”

Old_skeet
  • I posted articles from zach previously but I found these info are mostly junks
  • Articles from Zack's that fall into the pc mailbox from other sources have been viewed in the past. These are the best-of market sector type of notices.
    The most common feature I note with these is that their top 5 funds list contains fund tickers that have a load somewhere. I find this a bit strange; when many of the funds noted have the same fund in a noload version. Makes me wonder.....why?
  • Reply to @catch22:" Makes me wonder...why?"
    Regards,
    Ted
    I wonder Why Dion & Belmonts:
  • edited February 2014
    Howdy Ted,
    Thanks, but there are days I already think I'm too old.........and some days I feel too old, too!
    Now, back to Ravel's Bolero here; before moving more snow into a different pile.:)
    I enjoy, in particular; Bolero, when reading here and at a few other data sites.
    NOTE: gotta be careful with this song though; could take one from the beginning from being a passive to a very active investor..... :) Do not place any trades within one hour of listening !!!
    One of the many Bolero's.
    Take care,
    Catch
  • Reply to @catch22: How about these two.
    Regards,
    Ted

Carol & George:
  • When one queries the Zacks' Internet site about a particular mutual fund, a current "rank" is provided for that fund (e.g., 1 = strong buy; 3 = hold; 5 = strong sell). Their Web site states that the ranking system is a "short-term system designed to predict price movements over the next 1 to 3 months."
  • Reply to @Old_Skeet: Thanks much for that first link. It gets worse, to my take. I looked for 5y and 10y choices of balanced and equity income, and found almost nothing in the first two pages that contains funds that get mentioned in MFO. Wild, just wild.

>> the ranking system is a "short-term system designed to predict price movements over the next 1 to 3 months"

Seriously? No wonder it seems such unactionable bullshit.
  • If you are unfortunate enough to get your name on their mailing list, do not expect to get it off!

Mona
  • Reply to @Mona: Good point Mona, it took for ever to get them off my junk mail.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Some of the details I encounter are simply incorrect at Zacks. Like no-load funds listed as loads.