Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

MAINX short

edited February 2014 in Fund Discussions
Teresa Kong at MAINX is shorting a US 10-year Note "Cbt." (?) It is dated Dec. 2013. Can this be good? Is she betting on rising rates, or...?

Comments

• edited February 2014
    Where did you find this information?

Edit: Never mind, I didn't click on the pdf link for all holdings. It's at the bottom.

Not sure what to think about this action. From what I have gleaned out of Yellen's comments, rate are going to be low for quite some time to come. The Fed is maintaining their accommodative stance. One thing I have noticed as of late is that MAINX has leveled off when looking at a chart and perhaps the downtrend is over.
  • TedTed
    edited February 2014
    Dear Crash & John Chisum: Did you catch last week's WealthTrack where Teresa Kong was one of the featured guests ? Here is a relink for your information.
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://wealthtrack.com/recent-programs/teresa-kong-peter-marber-opportunities-emerging-markets/
  • I had access to the conversation through Matthews but I haven't watched it yet. Thanks for the reminder.
  • On FB I asked Counseulo how much EM (equity/fixed income) Teresa Kong would allocate to a 60/40 portfolio. Ms. Mack replied, "We will see."
    Peter Marber was also on Chuck Jaffe's Money Show recently. Mr. Marber suggested EM bonds to re-allocate from hot US equities and to get some yield compared to US debt. Similar to the Robert Arnot's comments on the Tiger 21 post.
  • FWIW, Teresa Kong's "one investment" suggestion on WealthTrack was emerging Asia equity.
  • Reply to @Ted: Thanks very much, Ted. I'll go there right now.
  • edited February 2014
    i would think that being long emerging market debt and short similar treasuries is a basic trade hedging duration. she wants to get 'carry' from higher yields in Asia, not necessarily the duration risk. very common for higher yielding strategies nowadays.
  • I've forwarded a query to Matthews about the position. If I hear anything back, I'll surely let you know. Thanks for pointing it out.

David
  • Thank you all, and David, in particular, for actually taking my question to where it can do the most good!
  • TedTed
    edited February 2014
    Reply to @Crash: David will have Matthews "Answer The Question"
    Regards,
    Ted

John McEnroe: Answer The Question;
  • Reply to @Crash: David will have Matthews 'Answer The Question.'
    Regards,
    Ted

John McEnroe: Answer The Question
  • I took the time to watch the Teresa Kong interview and while it was informative by itself, it didn't shed any light on the question in this thread. Let's see if Matthews responds to David's request.
  • Right, JohnChisum. Anyhow, it was informative.
  • Reply to @fundalarm: Thanks, FA -- sounds like a very reasonable interpretation.
  • Reply to @fundalarm: Yes, I see the way that works, conceptually. Don't ask me to excplain it "in my own words," though.:)
  • I found this tidbit in the transcript of the managers roundtable webcast from Matthews.

"Just a quick word on the bond side―we have the full ability to invest across both U.S. dollar and Asian local currencies, in terms of the denomination of the bonds. We have moved pretty significantly away from local currency, since the inception of the Strategy. In November 2011 when we started the Strategy, we were
    at about 65% exposure to local currency bonds. Right now, we’re at just under 50% in local currencies, so typically, we want to express our views directly in the bonds themselves, but we do have the ability to hedge currencies when we want to, and we have selectively done so in the past."

That was on page eleven. Here is the link to the whole transcript.

http://matthewsasia.com/resources/docs/pdf/webcast/WC039T_Retail_Transcript_Final.pdf
  • Forgive my rookie question: Is this reference to "hedging" the same thing as "shorting?" I think not. But the information is helpful. My computer froze up and I did not listen to the FULL roundtable. THANK you.
  • Reply to @Crash: Maybe it depends on the reason for shorting. I always thought it was a form of hedging as in one hedging their bets. Then again, I'm getting older and definitions change.
  • Reply to @JohnChisum: You and I both are "getting older", we're not seventeen anymore.
    Regards,
    Ted

Frank Sinatra: When I Was Seventeen: