Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Matthews Asia Perspectives on Emerging Markets.

Comments

• So can any of you folks that are a lot smarter than me take a shot at simply translating what he's saying in this article?

Thanks, Clem
  • edited February 2014
    Reply to @clemg64: "Emerging Markets get lumped together, but they really are diverse areas with little in common. As a result, Asia is occasionally affected negatively by happenings in places like Turkey and Argentina that have nothing to do with the region. In the long run, however, fundamentals will win out, and Asia has strong fundamentals. Buy Matthews Asia funds."
  • Thanks mrdarcey!

BTW, I own MAPIX in a Roth.
  • Reply to @mrdarcey: Yes, pithy and on-point.
  • As Mr. Darcey pointed out, Horrocks buried the lead until the next to last paragraph when he stated, "Not all emerging markets are created equal."
  • edited February 2014
    I own MAPIX in my Roth too (kind of view it as an Asian VDIGX), and my fiancee owns MACSX in hers (Asian PRWCX). I'm quite happy with both and Matthews in general.

I suspect they're getting some flack because of performance over the past year or so. Certainly there is starting to be some negative feedback here. I just read this as an explanation of why, and a validation that with a long term horizon Asia is probably a good place to be and that there is value in regional rather than diversified products.

But it's still a sales pitch.