Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A Contrarian Opportunity In A Fairly Valued U.S. Equity Landscape: Consumer Staples

Comments

• Jeff Auxier's AUXFX was the first thing that came to my mind when reading that. I like it.
  • Reply to @clemg64: I like Jeff as a fund manager, however; he has lagged the S&P 500 benchmark over an extended period of time.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Reply to @Ted: To say he has *lagged* over an extended period of time is being much too kind. Must be the new, gentler Ted.
  • edited February 2014
    He only holds about 72-75% (mostly conservative) stocks and the rest bonds and cash. Of course he's going to lag the S&P 500 in bull mkts. That's to be expected...at least I expect that and he does too.
  • edited February 2014
    Reply to @clemg64: My bad, it is pretty much even with the S&P over the past 10 years. I tend to look at everything compared to junk bond funds ala WHIYX where it has lagged considerably over the past 10 years. But then so has the S&P lagged.
  • Another fund with "Retail" in its name might be AKREX, Akre Focus Retail. Seems to be overweighting Financials, Retail, Industrials as per M* data.
  • as has been said here before, i think, the Retail in its name has nothing to do with "retail" in the context we're talking about here.
  • Another interesting thing I had observed long time back was that both XLP (Consumer Staples) and XLY (consumer discretionary) have better long term performance vs. S&P. Try different time-frames on this chart.

http://quote.morningstar.com/fund/chart.aspx?t=VFINX&region=usa&culture=en-US

As both have higher expected returns (at least based on historical data) and seem to be less correlated (at least under some market conditions), I have been thinking of a possible pairing or rebalancing approach to take advantage of this. I don't have access to a good back-testing software, but my feeling is that a 50:50 split with rebalancing at 55:45 should do better than VFINX.