Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Now that we have reply to function, a couple of comments regarding the usability of function

edited April 2011 in Technical Questions
We now have reply to function. Thanks a lot. But the posts now can be intermingled and new posts are not always at the end. However, when I click on a discussion on main board, the window comes up bottom-most posts visible forcing me to scroll up to see if any posts are new in the middle. I wonder if it would be better to position to the top instead or have reply to function also post in the end of the thread with a link to the original thread as "In reply to ... by ...". I agree with Maurice that in this board structure intermediate posting of replies is problematic especially in those longer thread with potential of spreading to a number of pages.

Secondly, when we look at the thread list, the discussions with new postings are marked as "New". Can the new posts also be indicated as such when we open the discussion so we would know what to look for easily.

Comments

• Bump: I feel that the need to mark which posts on the thread are really new is really important.

Today I've re-visited several older discussions that have marked "New" on the main discussion list. Click the link and open the discussion, I have no idea which posts were new. The new posts can be anywhere in the discussion. Since the board software already knows which posts were new for me, I really would appreciate it would take the guessing game out and mark individual posts with an icon, color etc.

Am I alone having this problem?
  • Hi- no, but I'm pretty sure that what we have isn't the finished product. But I'm thinking that you are right in making a note of it, so that we don't overlook it and forget about it.