Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

From Asia's boondock city

I am currently in Manila staying at the Resorts World complex here. Marriott has a nice hotel that I have stayed in several times before. Tonight I observed some things and thought I would pass them on.

Of all of Asia's big cities, Manila is usually at the bottom of the list. Never the less the growth is still apparent here. We had supper at a nice restaurant this evening. The place was packed. A lot of foreigners here too. After our meal we walked it off in a mall nearby. This place is five star all around. Tiffany's, Bulgari, and all the rest have nice shops here. Any shoppers? Not too many. A lot were looking. Perhaps the craps tables were not so kind?

Genting has done a real nice job here. Everything is world class. The construction is ongoing as several condo towers and other buildings are going up all around. The condo craze is still big here as people are willing to spend upwards of 2 million pesos for a 24 square meter unit. That is tiny. The peso is about 44.6 to the USD.

So no slowdown here as noted in some if the other countries in the region. A lot of Chinese and Koreans come here for vacation and gambling due to being cheaper than back home.

Next stop, Tokyo.

Comments

• Oh and we had been here next week we could have gotten tickets and seen Il Divo.
  • edited March 2014
    Thanks for the notes regarding your stay, sounds like a lot of fun. Very interesting to hear about Resorts World, as well - Genting continues to impress greatly with their properties and yet, the stock hasn't done well for a few years (the ADR shares are around $15.)
  • Thanks, JohnChisum.