Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Country Specific Investments: Indonesia

beebee
edited March 2014 in Fund Discussions
From Asia Confidential:
"Indonesia one of the world’s best performing markets year-to-date, up 23% in US dollar terms. The big question is: will the out-performance continue? The odds would seem to be against it. Risks from a China economic bust are likely under-estimated. As are the difficulties facing the incoming president in implementing reform. And with Indonesia trading at 15x this year’s earnings, a 32% premium to Asia ex-Japan, there appears to be plenty of room for disappointment."

A few etfs to follow Indonesia = IDX and IDXJ (sml cap)

Article link:
investors-fall-for-indonesia

Comments

• Saw that, too. Country-specific? I have tracked IRL (CEF) for many years, just on account of a family connection over there. Just curious to see how it does. I've got some responses in here about it, too. Is Ireland not in the earliest stages of a secular upswing with the rest of the EU, though? Halting, in fits and spurts, but real. "The Economist" says that Portugal is on the way out of its bailout arrangement without (as with Ireland, too) a "backstop." Yet acc. to "The Econ," Portugal is worse-off..... I was rather amazed to read that 65% of those aged mid-20s to mid-60s in Port. did not finish high school. Holy rancid socks!
  • I own Astra (which is one of the largest conglomerates in Indonesia) via Jardine Matheson. I've also considered Indofood and the two cell tower plays.