Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Not much of a case offered in this article.
  • @Charles: Come on Charles, its the Seth and Henry show.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited March 2014
    Sure, there are some stocks that appear to be expensive, but there are other sectors that remain at low multiples and just coming into their own. Financials continue to do well. Some cyclical stocks starting to break-out, like AA.

So, I remain cautiously optimistic. Hopefully with spring thaw comes continued real earnings growth.

Here is M*'s latest market barometer...2% above fair value:

• "Here is M*'s latest market barometer...2% above fair value"

Where on the Morningstar website do you find the above data?
    Coverage Universe: All Rated Stocks; Today's ratio?
    That's good stuff. I'd like to check that periodically
  • @rjb112: Off Of M*s home page, right side down under Stock Research, look for Market Fair Value.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Ted- Thanks for the info.

OJ
  • @Ted: got it, thanks
  • @Ted Thanks for the heads up

• Are Stocks Pricey or Cheap?

by Barry Ritholtz - March 29th, 2014, 9:30am

In their book “This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly,” Carmen Reinhart and Kenneth Rogoff show that after a major credit crisis, recoveries are typically far softer. Weaker GDP, slower growth and mediocre job creation are typical. That sums up our economic experiences since 2009 rather well, don’t you think?

That has not stopped the guessers from looking at every twitch of the data as the start of something significant. As we discussed last year, economic data are very noisy. This year, a lot of the numbers have been disappointing. Retail sales have been weak, auto sales have missed consensus estimates, and housing has been soft.

Normally, without some rational explanation, I would be concerned about that sort of data. This year, for a change, the weather is a legitimate excuse. I usually mock the retailers who complain that it is cold in Minnesota in January (Really? Who could have seen that coming!?) But this has been the winter of our discontent. I’ve lived in New York for half a century, and I do not recall ever having this many days where temperatures were in the teens and single digits. We had snow in 49 of 50 states, according to the National Climatic Data Center. At the same time, a drought struck western states, and California had its hottest winter on record.

I am willing to give the economic data the benefit of the doubt for another month or two. Were the recent data legitimately affected by the whacky winter weather, or is this the start of an economic downturn? We shall find out before the Fourth of July fireworks are upon us.
    http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2014/03/are-stocks-pricey-or-cheap/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+TheBigPicture+(The+Big+Picture)
  • @Junkster.

What are your favorite sentiment indicators these days?
  • Charles said:

@Junkster.

What are your favorite sentiment indicators these days?

Don't know if @junkster is still around but the answer would be NAV price I think.:-) Can't think of a better sentiment indicator.