Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Monday rally 14/04/2014... selling into the end of the day

No trust in the direction of the Market. Shaky, shaky.

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Hi Crash,

I like to see this kinda stuff through a visual which helps me get a better grasp of it.

http://markets.wsj.com/usoverview

Old_Skeet
  • Great page fulla stuff. I just bookmarked it.
  • Just curious, but unless you or someone is day trading, why is this important these day to day ups and downs? As an 'investor' I don't get it.
  • Mark said:

Just curious, but unless you or someone is day trading, why is this important these day to day ups and downs? As an 'investor' I don't get it.

I have a longer-term view, but I like chatting about what's going on on a day-to-day basis. Not everything has to be "useful", sometimes it's just conversation.
  • edited April 2014
    Ditto - Infinitely more entertaining than the soaps and cooking channel.
    Those who find daily movements of interest are drawn to a site like this. Observations like Crash's sometimes serve as a springboard for more penetrating/insightful commentary. To each his own ... Regards

• The journey of 1,000 miles begins with a single step. A day-after-day-after-day pattern, or an occasionally-repeated pattern is worth noticing. The concoction being brewed depends on what is included in it, before the final product is declared to be done. It just seems to me that I have indeed noticed time and again the days in which a steamrolling rally fizzles out by day's end, obviously reflecting short-term-selling for quick profit. But today, I was in fact proven wrong at the end of the day. The Market "came back" and revived in impressive fashion.

Europe sucked, though. Japan was up, but my investment in it is still down, overall.
    I notice SFGIX is lately doing much better than before---just in the last 2 or three weeks?
  • SeaFarer now at all time high, look like...

• I found through experience that watch the markets day by day instead of setting my investments on cruise control helped to educate me on the different aspects of market investing.

• SFGIX just lost a little less on first couple of days of the chart then matched the market move. Don't get me wrong, I like and own it. Here's hoping it keeps doing the same periodically. That'll be enough for it to outperform:)
  • Believe it is up 8.6% APR since inception. Not bad for EM.
  • edited April 2014
    SFGIX, according to M* numbers and chart on the "Quote" page. Start on 15 February, 2012 with $10,000 investment, end (13th April, 2014) with $12,290.50. My percentage-calculator says it's a rise of 22.9%

I didn't get in quite that early, though. I can't quite recall, maybe summer, 2012. My own return on investment so far with this fund is 14.5%.
  • @crash. We're in g. The 8.6% number is annualized through 3/31.
  • Hey, Charles! :)
    "We're in g." I'm missing something? Anyhow, the investment is paying off...
  • edited April 2014
    Ha! "In g" is pilot lingo for being in agreement. Seafarer is paying off for both of us...and many more. Now at $73M AUM.
  • edited April 2014
    Did someone say the week would be volatile? Russian MIGs buzz U.S. destroyer, fighting erupts in Ukraine, and gold drops $25. Go figure.
  • edited April 2014
    I think a skillful day-trader could make a bundle in this type of market.

By the way...that's not me.
  • We have not had the kind of pull back I am seeking to start deploying ballast capital (cash) to establish any special investment positions. As it is, I'll continue to buy around the edges with the cash my portfolio generates monthly.

Old_Skeet
  • Thanks for the clarification, Charles. Now I'm off to watch Boston at CWS in CHILLY Chicago. Pay special attention to #42. Grin........ EVERYONE is wearing #42, it's Jackie Robinson Day.