Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Interesting. Based on what's been said I'm inclined to update passwords, user names, secret questions and whatever else. Going slow however. By estimate, we got around 25 different ID/password combinations - maybe more. If you have an IPad you're likely using several just for that. One to unlock, one to access data files and another for I tunes. And, with 4G, another for the cellular account and - OH (forgot) another to access email!

And we never use the same ID or password more than one time. The burden keeping track is a bit overwhelming. And, lately many sites prompt for pretty complex passwords too, containing upper & lower case, symbols, numbers, etc. ... YIKES.

Wondering if use of public wifi is perhaps involved in these breeches. Anything confidential we do only over 3G or 4G or by phone.
  • Apple added iCloud Keychain function in their last iOS update. This works very well.
  • edited April 2014
    Yes, I did receive an email advisory from American Funds. We deliberately have no provision with any financial house to allow a withdrawal to be sent to anywhere other than a bank account, and no provision for access to bank accounts (other than reviewing balances) via the internet. No debit cards. I'd appreciate any thoughts as to whether or not this is fairly bulletproof.

I imagine someone could get into our American Funds or other brokerage accounts and transfer assets from one fund to another just to mess around, but that's hopefully not very rewarding for a hacker.
  • I wonder if the main plan for the hackers is to add a new bank account to your account and then transfer the money to that?

With American Century, if anyone tries that, I get a email describing the action. Also, my laptop and iPhone are registered with them. If anyone tries to access on a new device I would again get a email. Some sort of instant notification would be handy in these cases.

I use very strong passwords too.
  • edited April 2014
    Yes, both American Century and American Funds always send confirming emails on all transactions. Oddly enough, Schwab doesn't seem to.

Speaking of passwords, do you remember your old CG serial number? I sure do!
  • edited April 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Old_Joe,

Wow, you must have a good memory. I'll have to dig up my DD214. It would be on that I presume.
  • Actually, I have a really lousy memory. For some reason that thing is permanently stuck in there somewhere though, and makes a pretty good PW.
  • Maurice- thanks, I was thinking pretty much the same thing.
  • edited April 2014
    Once I forgot the password for the password organizer I keep on the computer. Locked out of everything for about 3 days until it finally came back to me. Good grief what a nightmare all this is becoming.
  • More than a nightmare now... we're well into a daymare!