Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Greenlight's Einhorn: "We Are Witnessing Second Tech Bubble in 15 Years"

Just on CNBC:

New positions in Conns, SunEdison. Closed Chipotle short, closed GM long position.

Also, new short positions (undisclosed at this point, at least) in tech. ""We Are Witnessing Second Tech Bubble in 15 Years"

Comments

• edited April 2014
    His long holdings as of 12/31 below...not a lot of tech, for sure...well, that jumps out to me.

AETNA INC NEW
    AMDOCS LTD
    ANADARKO PETE Corp
    APPLE INC
    ASPEN INSURANCE HOLDINGS LTD
    BABCOCK & WILCOX CO NEW
    BIOFUEL ENERGY Corp
    BP PLC
    CHICOS Fas INC
    CIGNA CorpORATION
    COMPUTER SCIENCES Corp
    DELPHI AUTOMOTIVE PLC
    DST SYS INC DEL
    E M C Corp MASS
    EINSTEIN NOAH REST GROUP INC
    FIFTH STREET FINANCE Corp
    GENERAL MTRS CO
    IAC INTERACTIVECorp
    ING U S INC
    INTREXON Corp
    LEGG MASON INC
    LIBERTY GLOBAL PLC
    MARKET VECTORS ETF TR
    MARVELL TECHNOLOGY GROUP LTD
    MCDERMOTT INTL INC
    MICRON TECHNOLOGY INC
    NCR Corp NEW
    Oil STS INTL INC
    PENN NATL GAMING INC
    RITE AID Corp
    SPIRIT AEROSYSTEMS HLDGS INC
    SUNEDISON INC
    TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE SOFTWAR
    TEMPUR SEALY INTL INC
    URS Corp NEW
    VODAFONE GROUP PLC NEW
    WPX ENERGY INC
  • Charles, define a lot. According to GuruFocus 51% of his portfolio as of 12/31/13 was in the tech sector. Likely not there today but who knows.

http://www.gurufocus.com/holdings.php?GuruName=David+Einhorn
  • edited April 2014
    Did not look that deep, so maybe Guru site is right.

I just did quick glance down 14F list and only Micron jumped out...maybe IAC...perhaps Take Two and Penn...Vodafone? Are those in same class as FB?

Looked like a lot of oil, insurance, finance.

But, I'm probably slow.

And I know jack about bio tech...
  • edited April 2014
    I was really interested in IAC from the standpoint of their investment in Aereo, the new and highly controversial TV streaming co. But I just can't care less about most of the rest (things like College Humor and 150 or so other internet/e-media brands..) of it (that's not to say that they aren't a well-run company, but if I invest in something I have to have a strong interest in it, I'm weird that way.)

Full Einhorn letter...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-04-22/david-einhorn-we-are-witnessing-our-second-tech-bubble-15-years-full-letter
  • @Charles - At first I just went off the list you posted and saw Amdocs, Apple, Computer Sciences, DST Systems, EMC, IAC, Marvel, Micron, Take-Two and thought that seemed like a lot so I searched a bit more. Hopefully I didn't insult you, just wondering what I was missing.
  • I suppose it all depends on the meaning of a bubble. We haven't seen any huge advances from the likes of industrial blue chips. They have all come from the tech side. The future is there.
  • Perhaps he wants to kill off some of the current pricing; and waiting for a better price point to buy. Some of these big-player folks are gaming the system, eh? They're just not breaking any laws with methods of pronouncement, be it fact, fiction or other motive.
  • @Mark. Ha! A blind man should have seen Apple. Thanks man for spotting me...good catch. My bad...promise to do better next time, if I get my sight back =).
  • @Scott.
    ...but if I invest in something I have to have a strong interest in it...
    Gotta love you man.