Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Recommendations for High-Yield Bonds

I am looking for a mutual fund for high-yield bonds. Recommendations from members and readers of MFO will be appreciated. Incidentally, if you believe this area of investing is best served by one of the existing ETFs, please say so.

Comments

• beebee
    edited April 2014
    Some allocation funds and multisector bond funds use high yield bond (strategically).

Full List: Conservative Allocation Funds
    FKINX
    BERIX

Full List: Moderate Allocation Funds
    BUFBX

Full List: Multisector Bond Funds
    NEFZX
    PONDX

In the M* High Yield category I'd suggest you check out:

Full List: High Yield Bond Funds
    BJBHX
    USHYX
    TFCVX
    SHYPX
    PRHYX
    FAGIX
  • Thank you for your thoughtful and extensive list of options for high yield bond investing. Very much appreciated.
  • HY bond funds are difficult to compare because they vary so much in credit and duration spread not to mention other "gimmicks" such as hedging, preferred/convertibles, etc.

This gives a wide spectrum of risk/reward combinations in these funds which makes M* ratings useless in this category more than most other categories

If this is part of a core holding in a large enough portfolio to make a separate HY fund meaningful, I would pick PRHYX in @bee's list above as the best managed and more importantly consistent and pure offering assuming it is available to you.

If you are looking for momentum plays or otherwise actively managing the portfolio allocation then something like FAGIX would provide higher returns in bull markets.

HYG and JNK are the two top ETFs.

• I only have FEHIX and am pleased. I like the First Eagle firm.
  • I own BHYAX - not a bad fund in the high yield category.
  • I own these and have been pleased with all of them. All have provided relatively low volatility and steady returns.

Mutual funds:
    WHIYX (A top performing fund over the long-term.)
    VWEHX (It holds higher-rated bonds and has out-performed WHIYX this year.)

ETFS:
    HYLD (A managed HY bond ETF that holds bonds bought on a value basis. I like it better than JNK or HYG.)
    CEFL (This is technically an ETN. It holds a basket of HY closed end funds and is leveraged 2X and so pays a very high dividend. It has a short history but has done well lately.)

High-yield munis:
    VWAHX
    HYD
    (Both of these have done well this year, performing better than taxable HY bond funds. HYD pays a dividend almost as high as that of JNK.)
  • All of the above comments and recommendations are acknowledged and appreciated.

Thanks.
    DlphcOracl