Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Look at India and Vietnam! Thinking of a small play with Vietnam.
  • Saw the news, but bought a little for a short-term play.
  • @Kaspa, I know you do momentum investing and so nimble enough to get out on price movements if necessary.

For others, India stock market action seems similar to the Brazil election change hopium that the change will dramatically improve things. Reality almost always sets in because changing the course of these countries, especially with Democratic governments isn't easy. Politicians fail to deliver on their talk.

Of course, the hopium could last for a long time. I would let the EM fund managers exploit these conditions unless one is good at momentum trades.
  • EM funds might take a hit here. Thailand's military just took over and declared martial law.

The usual knee jerk response by investors to follow.
  • Not buying India. Good news is mostly priced in and I am very familiar with the country. I am quite confident that Modi will be good for the country, but the expectations that there will be some overnight transformation are unrealistic. My Vietnam play is purely based on expecting a bounce off the oversold territory. It is an extremely short term play and I will be watching very carefully.
  • EM funds might take a hit here. Thailand's military just took over and declared martial law.

The usual knee jerk response by investors to follow.

Oh, Gawd. Very bad indeed. But thanks for the Alert.

• Sold VNM for a quick 4% in a week.